Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How do you start a car?
markal

posted on 6/2/07 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
How do you start a car?

How do i wire an engine up on a test stand, it has plugs, points and condenser, no fancy computers, just the old fashioned stuff, i want to make sure the engine is fine before i install it, regards Alan
John Bonnett

posted on 6/2/07 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Alan, not too much of a problem. I suggest you wire through an ignition switch which has a position for start and this is where the cable to the starter solenoid goes. There is a position for your feed, the battery and one for ignition. this would include coil, distributor fuel pump etc. if I haven't forgotten anything, hopefully that's all you need to do.

Cheers

John

Rossy

posted on 6/2/07 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
It sould be simple

However...you need the starter motor and flywheel on the engine so depends as some fix to the gearbox..

Starter should have the following...
Perminant Earth and Live and a push on release off live...i.e. a button so when you bush it it terns the engine over and when you let go it stops..
Coil should be already earthed (via the starter being bolted to the engine) it then needs a live feed this is the equiv of ignition on..so when this is removed the engine dies.
I'd say this is the most important and personaly would use another push switch and have someone else hold it in why the engine is started..for safety reasons.
That way if there is any problem what so ever the engine will be cut once that button is releast!
How are you going to mount the engine for example...if its on a make shift jig and it vibrates off you dont want an engine jumping around your garge floor!!!

Hope that helps and good luck...

Oh and if it gets too much simply buy one already done..prefferably MINE!!
Its up for sale in the for sale section!!

PLug plug plug.....

[Edited on 6/2/07 by Rossy]

<---- For Sale :~( See for sale Section)

He who walks in front of my Locost 7 will get tyred. He who walk behind me will get exhausted. He who drive it like hell will get there very quickly!

(Love Open Countryside, Overtaking Slower Traffic)

posted on 6/2/07 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
It seems like years ago when I fired mine up for the first time. What am I saying, it was.

No fancy switches in this neck of the woods. A few bits of wire and crossed fingers.

A wire from battery though coil to dizzy, fixed to battery with a crocodile clip. (disconnect to stop engine)

The heavy starter wire was in, as was the earth, so just a wire from starter solenoid which could be touched on the battery to fire the motor.

The alternator was wired to the battery as I believe if an alternator is run without being connected it may blow the diodes in it.

You'll notice the G clamped piece of metal with the expansion tank taped to it and the Fuel tank above that.

Fuel on. (remove clothes peg from fuel pipe)

Ignition. (crocodile clip on)

Contact. (touch wire on battery, wire sparks & burns finger. Drop wire and suck finger)

Contact again. (holding wire further up)

Music to my ears.

What a day that was.

Paul G Rescued attachment engine-fire-up-s.jpg
Rescued attachment engine-fire-up-s.jpg

rusty nuts

posted on 6/2/07 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
If you are going to start it on a test stand make sure it's well tied down just in case and as Paul has said a few pieces of wire with crocodile clips would get it running.
markal

posted on 7/2/07 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at my test stand? in my photo archive, it aint comming out of there, regards Alan
macnab

posted on 8/2/07 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
I have run my vw flat fours with them just sitting on the ground on a piece of carpet. To be honest not a lot happens, just starts runs and thats it, no hopping about or anything. No need for a test stand at all.

MikeRJ

posted on 8/2/07 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macnab
I have run my vw flat fours with them just sitting on the ground on a piece of carpet. To be honest not a lot happens, just starts runs and thats it, no hopping about or anything. No need for a test stand at all.

A flat four is somewhat more stable sitting on the ground than an inline 4, which quite often won't even balance on their sumps by themselves!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.