Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: new light conversion
locoboy

posted on 1/8/03 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
new light conversion

I am looking at buying some sealed beam halogen lights for my seven style car. I currenlty have the poxy citroen 2vc 1 candle power set up.

Does anyone know if my wiring will be suitable for the new higher wattage halogen set up?

Cheers
Colin

Ian Pearson

posted on 1/8/03 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
You could always add a relay. Just done mine and if I can do it anyone can!!
locoboy

posted on 1/8/03 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
cheers ian,

Electrics and i do not get on, does a relay just drop the current? and what type of relay do i need and how is it connected up?

Colin

Simon

posted on 1/8/03 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Colin

"Electrics and i do not get on.."

Don't worry - same here.

Am currently making a loom from scratch which is proving interesting (got carried away yesterday and realised I'd joined both rear indicator wires into the same connector!)

The relay acts in the same way as the starter solenoid, so I'll use that as an example:

It would be a major inconvenience running v.thick battery wires to the ignition switch, so they go straight to the starter motor. The solenoid on the other hand (which is essentially an electrically powered switch) operates at relatively low current, and hence these wires run to the switch. When you turn ignition key to the start position, a current goes to the solenoid which engergises the winding and throws a big switch to close contacts on the big battery wires.

Relays do the same thing, flicking a (low current) light switch, closes contacts within relay allowing heavier duty supply (from and to somewhere else)

Both circuits fused separately.

Hope this of some help!!

ATB

Simon

paulbeyer

posted on 1/8/03 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Take a gander at how suff works.com and d a search for relays.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.