Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: looking for a fly by wire throttle pedal
ceebmoj

posted on 19/8/03 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
looking for a fly by wire throttle pedal

Hi

I am looking for a good dona car to get a fly by wire throttle pedal from. So far I have added a hal effect sensor to an existing pedal to measure the rotation witch is an effective solution however I would like to find something that is reasonably common that I can just source a pedal from.

Thanks for the help

chrisg

posted on 19/8/03 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno Mate, sounds like witchcraft to me, pedals an carbs not joined together - burn him!!!

Cheers

Chris

[Edited on 19/8/03 by chrisg]

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

JoelP

posted on 19/8/03 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression that fly by wire was cutting edge, never heard of a production car having it? Maybe i'm thinking of brakes...
Stu16v

posted on 19/8/03 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Quite a few production cars (and probably even more goods/commercial vehicles) but mostly diesel, have fly-by-wire throttle systems.

*Throw him in the pool, and see if he sinks or swims*

Dont just build it.....make it!

ceebmoj

posted on 20/8/03 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Stu16v

I all reedy have the system working I was gust hoping to sauce a complete unit from some where. I so no one can recommend a unit the other that looking on diesel cars

Chrisg

The throttle pedal is still connected just not mechanically

stephen_gusterson

posted on 20/8/03 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
I test drove a lexus IS200 3 1/2 years ago. Twice, out on the A5 in Milton Keynes, the loud pedal stuck down.

I didnt have the dealer with me, so twice I opened the bonnet to free the throttle.

Lexus advertise the IS200 as fly by wire. It most definatly seemed to have a sticking cable to me, and freeing up the cable to the throttle fixed it.

hmmm...

atb

steve

ned

posted on 20/8/03 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
new skoda fabias are fly by wire i believe, not too many in scrappies though...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Spyderman

posted on 20/8/03 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
new skoda fabias are fly by wire i believe, not too many in scrappies though...

Ned.

Won't be long though!

Spyderman

ned

posted on 20/8/03 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
i'm afraid i'd strongly disagree. i really wanted one when i was in the market for a new car a coupe of years back, only problem was it was a brand new model and too pricey (and didn't do free insurance with it at the time!).

well built, same car as the new polo, but released about 2 years earlier, same engines, running gear, floor pan etc etc.

1.9tdi and 1.4 16v engines went well when i test drove them.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 20/8/03 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Put a longer lever on a Sierra stepper motor and wire it up to a pot. Sounds alright to me. Does everything need to be complicated? You could work the throttle with a screwdriver then and do away with the pedal.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

eddie

posted on 20/8/03 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
i believe them eurofighters are fly by wire

not too sure where you'd get spares tho...

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

gjn200

posted on 21/8/03 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Like hicost said, fly by wire throttles are a bit of a con, there is still a cable from the pedal into the engine bay.

<- Me!

chrisg

posted on 21/8/03 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Like hicost said, fly by wire throttles are a bit of a con, there is still a cable from the pedal into the engine bay.

That'll be the "wire"bit!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Marcus

posted on 21/8/03 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add my 2p worth, new Minis are fly by wire. No feel to the throttle at all - awful.
Feel free to make your car over complicated but don't expect it to be as reliable as a simple pull on a cable.

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

ceebmoj

posted on 22/8/03 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

The fly by wire throttle is at present working in the car and the whole system is linked to the gear shift and clutch control so all you need to do is press the loud pedal to go and press and then press a change up or down button and the car will do the rest for you clutch and rev matching.

I was simply interested in finding a comersaly available pedal as a number of other people have express an interest in the system and I was looking for areas in witch I could cut the manufacturing time i.e. using reedy constructed components instead of modifying existing pedals to add hall effect sensors to monitor the rotation of the pedal.

However on another note why is it that people on hear who are after all building a compete car seem to have such distrust of electronics and people trying to do slightly different things than the standard. It seems weird to me that to change the body work is ok but try some thing a bit modern and you are over complicating things.

As for using a pot I could do that however it is generally less accurate and has a shorter lifetime than a non-contact sensor like hall effect or others.

Peteff

posted on 22/8/03 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
As for using a pot I could do that:-

Yes but it only costs 3p . It's a locost based on 50 year old technology.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 22/8/03 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj

However on another note why is it that people on hear who are after all building a compete car seem to have such distrust of electronics and people trying to do slightly different things than the standard.

I design micro based parts and the software for them. Im still pessimistic about processors in critical situations, even thou they frequently are in life.

In a situation where you have gears, clutch etc all cpu controlled, what happens during a glitch when the system thinks you need first or reverse when doing 75mph in an overtaking manouvre?

Its admirable that you are doing such a project, and I really hope it works well for you.

The consequential damage claims for system malfunctions could be horrendous tho!

atb

steve

PS

Many, if not all, EFI systems have a throttle pot at the butterfly for measuring throttle position. They are typically high quality ones, as they are rather heavily usee over the initial part of the travel.

Makes me wonder why cars claim to be fly by wire, when a wire is used to a remote pot, thats fitted ANYWAY at the throttle body of a typical efi car.....

[Edited on 22/8/03 by stephen_gusterson]

Spyderman

posted on 22/8/03 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
However on another note why is it that people on hear who are after all building a compete car seem to have such distrust of electronics and people trying to do slightly different things than the standard. It seems weird to me that to change the body work is ok but try some thing a bit modern and you are over complicating things.

There are several logical reasons for the responses you have misinterpreted.
1st, I think a lot of the guys here are of the philosophy of "KISS".
2nd, Most people don't have your knowledge of electronics.
3rd, Electronics and moisture don't mix.
4th, Mechanical problems are generally easier for most people to diagnose, and minor defects can be overcome or ignored long enough to get you home. An electrical problem is usually more dibilitating.
5th, I guess a lot of people just want their car on the road to enjoy as soon as possible, and thought you might as well.

Each to his own, I say!
If you want to make it as high tech as you can then good for you. However it would be a boring world if everybody thought the same as you.
Who would you ask for opinions if they were all the same?

Good luck to you!

Terry

Spyderman

Peteff

posted on 22/8/03 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not a technophobe or 'owt but.

If I was I wouldn't be sat here using the computer, which I built along with several others for friends, and I do like cutting edge stuff when it's used in the right context, but if you want seat of the pants driving etc. what do you do with your ABS and traction control, you switch them off if you can. I would like to be able to program, any hints would be welcomed on an easy (cheap) way to get started by the way, and admire anyone who is able to but my aim was to build a car for as little and as quickly as possible. Still not sure whether I achieved this but if you like what you are doing and other people are interested, stick with it ceebmoj. I like reading about your projects by the way and hope you don't mind if I don't always understand the point of them.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

andyd

posted on 22/8/03 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
I would like to be able to program, any hints would be welcomed on an easy (cheap) way to get started by the way

Pete, have a look at getting a Java software development kit (SDK) and then search for some Java tutorials. The JDK are mostly free (just have to d/load them) as are most of the tutorials. Java is a decent modern language and a bit more forgiving than C. It may not be the fastest language you can use but it does for learning technique etc.

PS: Sorry for highjacking the thread with computer speak

[Edited on 22/8/2003 by andyd]

Andy

macbrew

posted on 22/8/03 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
my passat is fly by wire, keeps getting confused and shutting down the engine to idle (outside lane at 80 - not good) been waiting 5 weeks for replacement. Wouldn't touch em with yours, specially for a locost.
Peteff

posted on 22/8/03 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanx Andy and Blake. I'll look at that java thing. It's the Sun one isn't it? Google should sort it for me.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

craig1410

posted on 23/8/03 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I thought of building fly by wire, mainly so that I could implement speed and rev limits and traction control without messing about with cutting fuel injection or dropping sparks. It seems to me that if traction loss is caused by too much throttle then this is the best thing to control to reduce any wheel spin. This system might also come in handy when my wife takes the car for a spin. I could set it up to detect the fact that the seat is no longer reclined to a sensible angle and reduce throttle appropriately. Why is it that women drive with their noses 2" from the steering wheel anyway?

Anyway, I understand that the Renault Megane has fly by wire or so my Dad says as he drives one. I think it's only the later models though.

If I did get around to building this into my car I would also implement a standard cable and set it up so that I could just drop in a clevis pin and go back to fly by cable. I would also fit a rev limiter to ensure that if the car stuck on full throttle the engine wouldn't grenade itself.

I think it is crucial to use a pedal mechanism designed for fly by wire rather than try to graft on the volume control from your hi-fi or something. I would also suggest getting the car through SVA first as I don't think Mr Inspector will appreciate your efforts much...

Cheers,
Craig.

paulf

posted on 31/8/03 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Have you considered the rover L series diesel throttles, these are fly by wire and have an encoder mounted at the pedal. When i first got my 600 i looked everywhere for the throtlle cable and eventually found it didnt have one at all.These cars are now available in scrapyards and so may be a good source as mine has now done 190 000 miles and still working fine.
Paul.
quote:
Hi

I am looking for a good dona car to get a fly by wire throttle pedal from. So far I have added a hal effect sensor to an existing pedal to measure the rotation witch is an effective solution however I would like to find something that is reasonably common that I can just source a pedal from.

Thanks for the help

ceebmoj

posted on 1/9/03 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
thanks paul F that look like it might be just the thing I am looking for.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.