Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fan and horn relay
Avoneer

posted on 24/8/03 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Fan and horn relay

Does the fan and horn usually require a relay as there is no facility for them on my wiring loom. Shall I add them and if so, what relay do I need for the fan?
Thanks
Pat...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 24/8/03 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Horn won't need one unless you're using some mega powered one. Fan is usually powered by the water temp switch which is capable of switching enough current to run the fan. If you're planning on having a switch however I would use a relay.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 24/8/03 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
i would run the fan through a relay as they do take a fair bit of juice

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Avoneer

posted on 25/8/03 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Any idea of what sort of relay for the fan as I am a bit of an elektrickery novice.
Thanks...

eddie

posted on 26/8/03 at 01:36 AM Reply With Quote
sorry if this is a bit long or indepth...

quote:

Does the fan and horn usually require a relay

In days gone by relays were a race run by four people, these days it is comon practice to use relays for the fan, the horn, the starter (to power up the solenoid) etc. etc.

its not so much a question of 'do you need a relay' as 'is your wiring and switch gear capable of carryng the relevant currents'?

From what you say, if you are using the origional wiring loom and switch gear, then dont worry about it (after all if your donor ran for years, with out going up in smoke, then as long as the loom is in good condition, then you should be ok.)

If however your donors fan was mechanical and you want to go electric, then you can do it a few ways:

1, like ChrisW says the water temp switch should be good enough to do the job direct, just send a feed from the battery through an inline fuse, into the switch then to the fan. In this instance you need to check the current drawn by the fan and make sure that youre wiring and fuse are capable of carrying the current.

2, Send a feed from the battery into the switch then to the coil of a relay. Take another feed from the battery to an inline fuse through the contact pair of the relay and into the fan. In this instance you need to check the current drawn by the fan and make sure that youre wiring from the battery fo the fan and fuse are capable of carrying the current.

3, Again like ChrisW mentions you can add a switch (handy if you run into static traffic, and you see your temp guage rising) wire everything as mentioned in instance 2, but now take a feed from the battery to a switch set in your dash, then into the relay coil (the same place you connected the wire from the temp switch.)

As for type of relay those small cubic ones you see in H*lf*rds will do its just easier if you can get the connector to match (take some snips to your local scrappy and grab one)

The only complecation would be if your temp switch has only one tag, then the wiring will have to end at the switch as it earths out through the engine block.

If you have any queries i can pop on a few diagrams to illustrate anything i have said.

[Edited on 26/8/03 by eddie]

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

Northy

posted on 26/8/03 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
'Tis a Tiger loom

Pat, I got mine from a catalogue. Will have a look.

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.