Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Numpty's Pushing Start Button.
jollygreengiant

posted on 12/8/07 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Numpty's Pushing Start Button.

Well Today I have been back in the garage wiring up my Savage switches on my Dash.
Dash update
Dash update

As you will no doubt notice, I fitted an 'Engine Start' button on the Right of the 4 buttons.

This left me with the thoughts of how to wire it in. After some studious deliberations I realised that there was an up side to having used the standard Ford Granada fuse box.
This is that the fuse box comes pre-wired for Automatic transmission, however the relay is not fitted, just a brass bridging piece. So I obtained a red start relay, removed the bridging piece & fitted the relay. Then I located the brown/white earthing wire for that circuit and connected that through the switch to earth.

The result is that any numpty sitting in the passenger seat can press the button as much as they like. I does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Unless that is I am sitting in the drivers seat turning the key at the same time.

It works a TREAT.

Enjoy.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

blakep82

posted on 12/8/07 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
erm, ok, but whats the point of a starter button if you have to turn the key at the same time? or do i miss something?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

SeaBass

posted on 12/8/07 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
erm, ok, but whats the point of a starter button if you have to turn the key at the same time? or do i miss something?

lol. Just what I was thinking.

blakep82

posted on 12/8/07 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
to be fair, that could also have been done with any fuse box too, by putting the button in series with the key switch

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jollygreengiant

posted on 12/8/07 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
How about a cheaper and better way of doing it other than buying a seperate arming switch or some other form of isolator circuit so that the start button CAN'T be operated whilst the engine is running.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

rusty nuts

posted on 12/8/07 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Could have used a relay , the type thats switches off when activated?
ReMan

posted on 12/8/07 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
ISTR an old thread about this, ie the passenger pushing the Start button.

I think the concensus was that a punch in the face usually stops it happening

blakep82

posted on 12/8/07 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
+1^

David Jenkins

posted on 12/8/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Could have used a relay , the type thats switches off when activated?

That's what most people call a buzzer...

(I'll get my coat... )

jollygreengiant

posted on 12/8/07 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I thought it was a very simple solution. Fit one relay to EXISTING socket & connect ONE existing wire.

Perhaps I'm missing something like the ability to see an easier solution.

Maybe I shouldn't bother in future.

JoelP

posted on 12/8/07 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
whilst a clever use of the existing wiring, isnt it a bit odd, making it so your have to press another button whilst turning the key? When the key alone would suffice?

I wouldnt be bothered myself about someone pressing the start button whilst in motion, its quite unlikely to happen and doesnt matter in a BEC afaik!

givemethebighammer

posted on 12/8/07 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
My start button is the right hand side of the steering wheel so the passenger can't reach it. Coming to think of it, my passengers get strapped in so tight in the six point harness, they couldn't reach anything no matter where it was
Chippy

posted on 12/8/07 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
This ^^^^ was my first thought, put the bloody thing where only you can use it. Ray
blakep82

posted on 12/8/07 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
^ its what i was gonna say, but his already put it in the middle and trimmed it all in, still, no one's gonna press it

chasmon

posted on 12/8/07 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
You could use the oil pressure switch... I know of at least once person who has done this. It means you can only turn it over if the oil pressure is low.
britishtrident

posted on 13/8/07 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chasmon
You could use the oil pressure switch... I know of at least once person who has done this. It means you can only turn it over if the oil pressure is low.

Suspect a pretty obvious flaw in this --- what if the engine is reluctant to start ?

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

whitestu

posted on 13/8/07 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
What's the point of a start button?

My key works fine.

Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.