Poll: Have you made your own LED bulbs? [View Results]
yes
no

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Have you made your own LED bulbs?
02GF74

posted on 24/10/07 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Have you made your own LED bulbs?

Got some fancy dashboad lights from Europa spares that need BA 9 bulbs. Weren't paying 99p extra for a bulb so made my own LED bulbs. Also use 1/10 of the power too.

First make cutter for the plastic base insulator, done by filing teeth into some 10 mm steel tube.
cutter for insulator
cutter for insulator

Obviously the insulator is drilled beforehand, cut and then pressed into the lamp body.

LED with drop resistor fitted inside body (9 mm kunifer fuel pipe) prior to filling with epoxy. Notice the LED has been filed down - this works better at illuminating the Europa lights.
lamps prior to filling with ep
lamps prior to filling with ep

The positive contact made from piece of flattened copper wire and soldered on.

And guess what, they work!!

(just sitting here waiting for someone to tell me you can buy these for 27 p ..... )

Confused but excited.

posted on 24/10/07 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
How positively enterprising of you.
Nice one.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

MikeRJ

posted on 24/10/07 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a bit disappointed you didn't build your own wafer fab to grow the LED chips as well

How did you construct the bayonet pins that hold the bulb in place?

02GF74

posted on 24/10/07 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
I'm a bit disappointed you didn't build your own wafer fab to grow the LED chips as well

How did you construct the bayonet pins that hold the bulb in place?

Got the sand so working on it

About the pins, no need these Europa lamp holders have two springs, one inside the other, the lamp front screws onto the holder and keeps it altogether.

I guess some thicker copper wire soldered into a hole would have worked as a pin.

RazMan

posted on 24/10/07 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent - you might want to add some side firing leds to fill up your reflector as it makes them less directional. Most leds have a very narrow angle of view but the latest Luxeon ones have 180 degree (upt to a point).

Check out http://stores.ebay.co.uk/warden-jp2002_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm for some ready made alternatives. I have converted all my lights to leds except the headlights which will be converted to HID very soon.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 24/10/07 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Excellent - you might want to add some side firing leds to fill up your reflector as it makes them less directional. Most leds have a very narrow angle of view but the latest Luxeon ones have 180 degree (upt to a point).

the lamps have a metal ring behind the lens, that is why the top of the LEd is filed down so the light emitting end goes past this ring, and makes it brighter.

these Luxeon 180 LEDs, where would I find these in 5 mm size, white?

RazMan

posted on 24/10/07 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
This link is to a 1 watt version of the type you are using - incredibly bright with a good angle of view. He does loads of types of 'bulb replacements' but they use the later SMT technology based leds.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Confused but excited.

posted on 24/10/07 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Or Google; LED 1 , they sell everything including matching suitable resistors for automotive use.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

02GF74

posted on 25/10/07 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
yeah, I saw that - there is some sort of duffuser but I suspect internals are regular narrow angle LED; I was hoping I'd find a wide angle white LED.
RazMan

posted on 25/10/07 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Nope, have a closer look at the beam spread and you will notice that it is much wider than the 5-10 degrees of conventional LEDs.
This is a close up of the 3W version which uses 3 of the 1W jobbies firing foward with more around the outside firing radially, filling the reflector.

It is also worth noting that you only want to use white LEDs if you want white light (for forward facing side lights) Don't use a red / amber lense or you will filter out a LOT of the light and end up with a very dim light (LED light frequency is very narrow). Use the coloured LEDs with clear lenses - much more efficient.

[Edited on 25-10-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

02GF74

posted on 26/10/07 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
nope, i was referring to this:

unless custom LEDs are made, one will struggle getting lots of LEDs to face side ways - the corrugations on the side imply it is some sort of diffuser. maybe I can incorporate something like this in the mk2 version ?

RazMan

posted on 26/10/07 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
The metalwork is purely a heatsink - it actually uses the same LED as the ones pictured above, but these have an alluminium disc acting as the heatsink.

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.