Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dash warning light wiring
jabbahutt

posted on 31/1/08 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
dash warning light wiring

Warning the following question is being posted by someone easily confused by electrics so excuse any stupid statements.

I'm wiring up the individual dash mounted warning lights, handrake, oil indicators etc using a vicky green loom

I take it that the cables mentioned on the diagram going to warning lights are all supplies and the earths just aren't shown? So if the above bit is correct can I just run earth wires from all the lights to a common earth nearby?

Cheers all, I'm looking forward to actually getting some lights on on my dash

ditchlewis

posted on 31/1/08 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
used a bright 6 which had one earth on it. the gauges were wired as you said, with a common earth.

beware the VG loom has some errors in the diagramme around the sierra column switch gear.

attached is a copy of the corrections, kindly supplied by others on here

Ditch

[Edited on 31/1/08 by ditchlewis] Rescued attachment vg wiring loom corrections.jpg
Rescued attachment vg wiring loom corrections.jpg

02GF74

posted on 31/1/08 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
i am not party to your wiring diagram so cannot comment.

but your assumption is not correct.

oil lamp will be wired:
12 V --- lamp ---- sender --- 0V

high beam will be
stalk ---- lamp ---- 0V

charge lamp will be
12 V ---- lamp --- alternator

so each is ever so slightly different. the wiring diagrma surely will disply that?

ditchlewis

posted on 31/1/08 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
See above for the quality of instructions available with the VG loom, and in parts it is wrong so it leaves you wondering what went wrong

ditch

ditchlewis

posted on 31/1/08 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
this is the bit that is confusing. it is based upon the original instrument cluster and if you are using after market guages and warning lights then you are on your own.

i used the bright 6 and used the two wiring diagrames to make it work, very easy and i can recommend it.

the best way is to look at the wiring diagramme you got with the light and try and match the two.

i managed and the car still has not caught fire

ditch Rescued attachment vg part.JPG
Rescued attachment vg part.JPG

jabbahutt

posted on 31/1/08 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for posting the section of the diagram Ditch it's going to make it much easier for people to help.

So seeing there is a Green supply that says it's to the whole dash area would I ben correct that for bulbs such as the indicators the wire shown is supply and I'll need an earth
For bulbs where the wire shown is going to earth I could take a supply from the green fused supply for the other connection to the bulb?

Am I grasping this now or still barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers
all

ditchlewis

posted on 31/1/08 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
from memory the green is a ignition switched power supply. and is used as a power supply for guages & warning lights

if the supply is through the green cable the earth may be through the other cable

ie hand brake light the earth may be through the black and yellow cable.

i recall that black is an earth colour in the VG loom, the yellow stripe could meaning earth only when the ignition is on?

the guage lighting is from the red cable with the bullet which you have to cut off.

ditch

[Edited on 31/1/08 by ditchlewis]

jabbahutt

posted on 31/1/08 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
so for sva/mot etc are there any items on the dash i.e warning lights gauge illumination that need to be able to work with the ignition off? apart from the hazard light

ditchlewis

posted on 31/1/08 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
if you switch your ignition off in your tin top the only light that works is the hazard light.

i recall now that the Bright 6 warning light cluster only has a powers supply and the earth is via the other cables.

if you are using the sierra column and hazard switch then the power supplies to the offside and nearside indicatir warning lights will be through the green and red and green and white cables.

i stand to be corrected

ditch

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.