Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What am i missing - welding
speedyxjs

posted on 11/2/08 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
What am i missing - welding

Iv finally sorted out the gas leak on my 151te. Gas bottle pressure too high. Problem is now that i am using CO2 because it is the only lower pressure gas that halfrauds had today, and all my welds are crap. The penitration is rubbish even on full power but the biggest problem is that it keeps spitting everywhere. I have tried slowing the wire speed and even slowly increased the speed from 1 while welding but to no avail.
Am i missing something i should be doing???

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Omni

posted on 11/2/08 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Check out Mig Welding Resource They have how to's and a forum

HTH.

O

[Edited on 11/2/08 by Omni]

speedyxjs

posted on 11/2/08 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Iv just been looking on there and reading through the tutorial.

twybrow

posted on 11/2/08 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I am new to this welding lark too, so I can only help with the absolute basics - but have you actually checked you have gas coming through? As soon as my gas stopped, it goes very crap. Plus spitting for me usually means I am holding the torch too far from the workpiece. I did my first perfect weld yesterday, and it looked and felt so different to all of the others I have tried.

Dangle_kt

posted on 11/2/08 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'm arc welding at the mo, and I had my first "slag peel" - which whilst sounding slightly sick, is actually a sign of a good arc weld. I was suitably chuffed. and can now do it pretty regular
Minicooper

posted on 11/2/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Co2 is not as good as the Argon/Co2 Mix bottle to weld with but it should be fine

It really would be a good idea to get someone who knows how to Mig weld properly to come and sort this out, either that or go to welding classes or get mobile welder out and pay him for a few hours of his time to run through the basics check your machine settings,etc

Eastbourne is not to far from where I am, Chandlers Ford, Hampshire. Come across with your welding gear any day and I will go through it step by step, if there is anything wrong with your machine you can use my Tradesmig to practice with

This will be far quicker than going through problem after problem on the forums and keep the blood pressure down as well!

Cheers
David

[Edited on 11/2/08 by Minicooper]

BenB

posted on 11/2/08 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
If possible get someone to give the welder the once over. Learning to weld is tricky even when the welder's working properly. If its on the blink, a combination of that and all the variables you can get wrong makes learning very difficult. I'd suspect no gas (or not enough) coming out the other end. Is the work piece clean and shiny? Coatings, surface oil etc can also make a shitty weld.

What stick length are you using (ie how much wire protruding from the end of the nozzle)? Keep the stick length short and the gun close to the workpiece (it'll also help keep the shrouding gas in place).

speedyxjs

posted on 11/2/08 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
I know how to weld. I have had lessons. I was welding fine with argon/co2 but it was runnig out in about 30 mins. This CO2 bottle it lower pressure.

[Edited on 11-2-08 by speedyxjs]

speedyxjs

posted on 11/2/08 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like i havnt sorted the gas leak. The bottle has just run out after 2 hours
Looks like itl be going back to machine mart AGAIN
Oh well, at least i know its not my welding. Thanks for you replys. Il keep you updated

r1_pete

posted on 11/2/08 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
In my opinion the disposable bottles, are a waste of space, the regulators are even worse.

Much better to get a decent two stage regulator, and small argoshield light from BOC, then you know you have gas when you want it, of the right type, welding rechnology has moved on since the early days of MIG/CO2, it should be exploited for the best possible results.

In my view the conversion is £100 well spent, at the best part of £10 a chuck +travel and inconvenience, you don't buy many disposables to make the above cost in,

Rgds.
Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Minicooper

posted on 11/2/08 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
It looks like i havnt sorted the gas leak. The bottle has just run out after 2 hours
Looks like itl be going back to machine mart AGAIN
Oh well, at least i know its not my welding. Thanks for you replys. Il keep you updated

These disposable gas bottles do not last long, if your welding for 2 hours solid, that's not bad

David

bonzoronnie

posted on 11/2/08 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
In my opinion the disposable bottles, are a waste of space, the regulators are even worse.

Much better to get a decent two stage regulator, and small argoshield light from BOC, then you know you have gas when you want it, of the right type, welding rechnology has moved on since the early days of MIG/CO2, it should be exploited for the best possible results.

In my view the conversion is £100 well spent, at the best part of £10 a chuck +travel and inconvenience, you don't buy many disposables to make the above cost in,

Rgds.
Pete.

I'd second that one Pete.

Ronnie

dave36

posted on 11/2/08 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Technique

As said before the disposable bottles are a waste of space and money. No matter what gas source you are using you need to sort out the basic adjustments before you start.
The popping noise is due to either the torch being too far from the weld (as said before), or to the wire speed being too high, turn the wire down and start welding on a bit of scrap metal, while welding, increase the speed until you have a smooth sounding weld with little or no spatter - speed is always sensative so take it easy - when you are sure you have it running smooth enough, mark the position of the speed switch.
Lastly, dont leave your wire in the garage or the shed between occasional uses, take it home and store it in the warm dry air - if it is rusty, then throw it away - it will never work!

Never grew up

phelpsa

posted on 11/2/08 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same setup as you and the bottles do run out very quickly unfortunately.

Also check that the wire feed is nice and smooth and not jerky. Check that the tension on the roller bit (dont know the real name :p) is right as the rollers and slip if its too tight, causing the sort of symptoms you describe.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 12/2/08 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers. It turns out (from others i have spoken to) that as you say, the bottles do actually last that long. I have now ordered some larger bottles and will be converting my welder to use them.

ps i feel a right idiot now after thinking it was leaking

MikeRJ

posted on 13/2/08 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
I welded most of my chassis with one of the "extra large" CO2 bottles, they don't run out that quickly if you don't go mad setting the gas flow!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.