Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Starter motor solenoid - interchangeable??
Paul TigerB6

posted on 19/3/08 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Starter motor solenoid - interchangeable??

Evenin all,

I have a broken starter solenoid on a Pinto starter motor. Does anyone know if solenoids are an interchangeable part with other starter motors so i could look for an alternative, at all or are they generally purpose made??

Just thinking of popping to the local breakers if i cant locate a new solenoid and as Sierra's are thin on the ground....

[Edited on 19/3/08 by Paul TigerB6]

alexdj125
Junior Builder

Posts 93
Registered 23/6/07

Photo Archive Go!
Building: an increasingly large carbon footprint!

posted on 19/3/08 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I'll probably get told off for this advice by someone who knows a lot more than me, but I pulled one off a mitsubishi truck and used it on my xflow! It worked fine, only replaced it when bought a high torque starter which came with one attached.

Alex.

If it ain't broke- it soon will be!

02GF74

posted on 20/3/08 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
I would expect alternators, starter motors etc are made by a couple of compaies - Lucas etc. the chances are you will find the same item used on different vehicles.

comapring motors/soleniods would do it although it would be better to know in davance what other cars to dismantle.

have you taken the soleniod apart to see what is wrong? and if fixable?

Paul TigerB6

posted on 20/3/08 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
I have taken the solenoid off the starter motor and had a good look at it. There doesnt seem to be any obvious way to dismantle the solenoid any further - bolts etc - any ideas if there is a way to dismantle it??

I have tested i have power to the main terminal and the switched terminal (off the starter key upon turning) and basically getting neither power to feed the motor or anything from the solenoid - totally dead.

Sleepy Cat
Sleepy Cat

[Edited on 20/3/08 by Paul TigerB6]

02GF74

posted on 20/3/08 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
ok - solenoid - you mean bacially a extra heavy duty relay - so yeah, anything similar will work. It need not be mounted on the starter either.

when I posted I was thinking you'd have an inertia type starter where the solenoid not only switches current to the motor but also throws in the starter cog.

i have somethng similar to this for my xflow

on t he bay

[Edited on 20/3/08 by 02GF74]

Paul TigerB6

posted on 20/3/08 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
The solenoid contains a spring loaded lever so when the starter is engaged the solenoid operates the lever which throws the cog in to the ring gear.

I'll have a look in the breakers at the other starter motors i think - starting with the Ford ones

02GF74

posted on 20/3/08 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
ah well you should have said that!! you have a inertia type motor - will explain why yours is so much bigger than mine!

britishtrident

posted on 20/3/08 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Usually it is a case of cleaning and adjustment --- if the fork pivot is sticking nothing works.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Paul TigerB6

posted on 20/3/08 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
you have a inertia type motor - will explain why yours is so much bigger than mine!

Well you know how it is mate - i dont like to brag that mine is so much bigger than yours!!

MikeRJ

posted on 20/3/08 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
ah well you should have said that!! you have a inertia type motor - will explain why yours is so much bigger than mine!

No, you have an inertia type starter, Pauls is a pre-engaged starter.

[Edited on 20/3/08 by MikeRJ]

Paul TigerB6

posted on 20/3/08 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Usually it is a case of cleaning and adjustment --- if the fork pivot is sticking nothing works.

Its all been dismantled, cleaned etc and still doesnt work. the fork is free to move no problem I've taken the solenoid off for testing and still nothing (and yes i did remember to ground it). The smallest terminal for the connection to the igition switch is just spinning which makes me think it has broken off internally.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 20/3/08 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
No, you have an inertia type starter, Pauls is a pre-engaged starter.

Just like that

one of these

But just want a solenoid if possible and not wait 2 weeks

Paul TigerB6

posted on 27/3/08 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Well the starter motor issue is now resolved and received superb service from a proper old world auto electrician who can actually repair things rather than bolt on a recon exchange unit. I was looking at around £45 - £50 for an exchange starter motor locally , get one off ebay for about £35 - £40 delivered, or find one in the breakers.

Managed to get myself recommended to these guys in order to try and get a new solenoid fitted (the old one was fcuked - to use the proper technical term). Droped the motor off at 11am this morning and got a call at 12:15 to say it was ready. New solenoid fitted and tested for the grand total of £12. What a result!!

Highly recommended for anyone on the Wirral (2 mins from the Birkenhead tunnel)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.