Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Looking for some unusual headlights...
cloudy

posted on 15/5/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Looking for some unusual headlights...

I'm after some SVA friendly lights (even if I have to make some mods) to vaguely match my design below:

Anyone know of anything similar on the market?

cloudy

posted on 15/5/08 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
They do - but those are the atom's indicators - they have std round headlights....

James

Ricks-9r

posted on 15/5/08 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
i brought a pair of these from the US for my Mac#1 ,yet to fit but will get around soon ,is this the similar sort of thing you was after

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=wave+headlights

[Edited on 15/5/08 by Ricks-9r]

[Edited on 15/5/08 by Ricks-9r]

iank

posted on 15/5/08 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Not SVA safe though, being bike lights.

How about using the hella units and making your own housing?

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/prod/90mm-headlights.html

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

r1_pete

posted on 15/5/08 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
These any good?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cloudy

posted on 15/5/08 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
those hellas look very promising! I'll certainly look into those - Thanks

I'm not sure if those streetfighter lights would be SVA safe?

matt_claydon

posted on 15/5/08 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cloudy
I'm not sure if those streetfighter lights would be SVA safe?

Or MOT. If they don't have a 'kick-up' to the left on dipped beam then they are not legal for a car. Some bikes have a kick-up but these days it's more and more common for bikes to have flat beams.

russbost

posted on 16/5/08 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
The streetfighter lights are the ones I sell(for a LOT less than that price!!!), they are not sva friendly (IMHO), but can be very easily morified to be so close to MoT requirements that any tester should pass them without problem.
I'm expecting to get some projector lights shortly in 80mm dia, they are E marked, but I've not seen beam patterns yet they may be flat bike pattern.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
cloudy

posted on 16/5/08 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good russ! - also just spotted your wing mirrors! Do you have any pics of the ones with LED repeaters on a car at all?

James

russbost

posted on 16/5/08 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
James
Sorry no pics on cars as yet, I'll let you know if the deal with the projector lights comes off - particularly if they are sva compatible.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Schrodinger

posted on 17/5/08 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
I was looking at the Alfa 159 and 147 at a show a couple of days ago and notice that they use projector headlights now the 159 are not enclosed so they may be a possibility but I've no idea of what they would cost or what bulbs they use.

Keith
Aviemore

Steve @ sVc

posted on 19/5/08 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'm Steve from sVc. For the 7 years I have been here, I have been asking the major lighting supply companies that we deal with, to supply headlights smaller than 5 ¾” diameter, that will give dipped and main beam and be road legal for a CAR. To date nobody has been able to supply.

We do supply the single Dominator headlights (3 ½” diameter) due to demand, as Racing / Off Road headlights. These are “E” marked for fitting to motor cycle front forks, so they move with the steering. As such they dip directly downwards, rather than to the left (for the UK) or to the right (for those mis-guided countries where they drive on the wrong side of the road). The major importer of these supplies the Bike trade, and even so, their catalogue states “E-marked for European use- the user should check their country regulations”.
They are not road legal here in the UK, and one member of the Westfield Sports Car Club, who is in the insurance industry, warned fellow members that the use of these could invalidate your insurance. Also – if you email Hellfire who fitted these to his MK, you will be told that the light out-put is very poor. So it’s all down to you.

Over the years I have asked lighting companies to quote me for 100mm H4 lenses, but even when the tooling and design investment was ok, the multi-thousand batch sizes needed make it unviable.

Please, if you find a supplier of small lenses – or complete lights that offer main beam and dipped beam for car lighting – let me know.
Otherwise the Hella lights have been used in special pods by some car builders. The dipped beam light must be 500 mm from the road level. Main beam and side lights can be lower, but the dipped beam and the side light should not be more than 400 mm from the vehicle side – main beam can be further inboard.

Hope this helps a bit!
Steve @ sVc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Guinness

posted on 21/5/08 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
quote:
Originally posted by cloudy
They do - but those are the atom's indicators - they have std round headlights....

James

they use the same light for indicator and headlight, round lights but in a similar shaped pod

picture here

those Ricks got there look nice though

Chris

I think, and I stress the think part, that the lights at the front of an Atom are position lights / side lights. The headlights proper are mounted towards the scuttle (or where it would be if it had one!).

See here:-

Although that is a continental registered car, I'm sure I've seen photos of UK registered Atoms with these lights.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.