Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: current consumption
Julian B

posted on 15/12/03 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
current consumption

Hi all

Can any one tell me what the total current consumption is for a 7 type car, excluding the starter motor.
The reason for the question is i have to replace my altenator so i would like to get one, which is as small and light as possable.

Thanks

JoelP

posted on 15/12/03 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
you only really need the constant average, as stuff like horns etc arent on. Id work out the headlight draw, depends on your bulbs, maybe around 250w or 20amps if you are driving on full beam, and then add on the coil and a bit for good measure. Bear in mind that an altenator doesnt really weigh much in the scheme of things, compared to the ball ache of having to jump start a poorly battery. I myself would go for a medium battery and a normal altenator, cos i cant be arsed changing it.

Is the standard sierra one 70 amps? i wouldnt want to go below 50 amps really since the battery does need a good charge if its not used regularly.

All IMHO ofcourse

Hellfire

posted on 15/12/03 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Joel - IIRC the dip beam needs to switch OFF when main beam is working (except flash!) so this makes 120W max. (+30% = 15A)

JoelP

posted on 15/12/03 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
makes sense i guess! so yeah, suck it and see!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.