Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Single Seater Project
dan8400

posted on 21/1/10 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Single Seater Project

I'm thinking of making a start on a single seater poject for the road. Problem is i don't know much about suspension geometry, weight distribution and so on. Plus i can't wait for the Haynes book, I want it now!! lol

If anyone can give me any tips on where to start with chassis/suspension measuring or any potential pit falls i'm all ears. I just don't want to build something good and then it handle like a bucket of smashed crabs!

I'm thinking of using an audi in-line 4 or V6 and transaxle. Neat package, modern and reliable.

Any thoughts, suggestions or anyone who wants to talk me out of it feel free to comment

Thanks
Dan

[Edited on 21/1/10 by dan8400]

big_wasa

posted on 21/1/10 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
have you seen this book

It doesnt give plans but does cover design ect.

ive got a copy ive flicked through once

aitch

posted on 21/1/10 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
if you look at the standard haynes roadster, copy the geometry and wheelbase that should be a good startingpoint.

do whtever you like in between

aitch

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dan8400

posted on 21/1/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Ok cool. I'll check that book out. Hopefully give me a starting point

Thanks
Dan

russbost

posted on 21/1/10 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Dan,

As you probably know I do a 2 seater tandem seating arrangement that looks like a single seater - I could offer to do you a shortened chassis which you could do your own back end on - would also make bodywork much simpler. Just a thought!

Russ

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
m8kwr

posted on 21/1/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I am in the middle (well start of designing a single seater).

Brought quite a lot of stuff, engine, uprights, rear chain diff, steering column.

But now i'm at a point where i'm thinking if i have jumped the mark a little, with certain things; or do i just try and get them to work!!! I think i will have to have a steering rack made for me in the end

I have just paid a deposit on the the body i want; but was wondering if i should of waiting for the new single seater book to come out, so all the plans are there for me... i don't like waiting either.

Thanks to big_wasa, just ordered that book.

Mal

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
If you go to the Racecarsdirect website and look at the third or fourth item for sale you will see a Tatus chassis for sale. The picture shows a chassis style that could be built by an amateur builder.

Mal

JC

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
You could always try the Alan Stanniforth 'Terrapin' Book, "High Speed, Low Cost", if you like it I'm sure you could track down a set of plans. Book was available from Totalkitcar!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dan8400

posted on 22/1/10 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the comments so far. Some good stuff. I think the terrapin isn't the look i'm going for. I really like the new haynes single seater but i'll have to wait like everyone else Might be worth a look at the terrapin plans for some design ideas though

Dan

Steve Hignett

posted on 22/1/10 at 01:23 AM Reply With Quote
The Terrapin plans were only available direct from Allan himself, sadly he passed away in May last year (still racing at 84!) top bloke and a realistic racecar engineer (self taught) and although they wouldn't be anywhere near the best place to start (he later raced the sucessor - Megapin until he kicked it!) he still had a clue as to what was going on in a car...

m8kwr

posted on 22/1/10 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
I brought the tamiya lotus 49 1/12 scale model, to try and use that to base it around what i wanted to design/make.

Then came across this body - link

This body is based around the Tecno F2/F3 from the late 60's, from what i can find out anyway; so more then likely the style of car you are looking to build yourself.

To make a body from scratch, I thought, was not going to be easy part of the project, and very time consuming. So been able to buy one off the shelf was an ideal path for me to take.

So my chassis will be based around this body. Probably the backwards way of doing this, but certainly a locost way.

dan8400

posted on 22/1/10 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
m8kwr .... that is awesome!! Don't suppose you know how much that is do you?

Would be good to have a look at one and consider building a chassis to fit like you say.

I also quite like the idea of Russ's car but shortened to look like a modern racer but single seat.

Alot to think about. Whether to go modern or retro.

Dan

m8kwr

posted on 22/1/10 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
dan8400 - sent you a U2U
dan8400

posted on 22/1/10 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you

Dan

big_wasa

posted on 22/1/10 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Dan, Ive been and seen tom's work and he is only up the road from you.

he had two of the single seat noses hanging up.

m8kwr

posted on 22/1/10 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
the red one is mine

Must go and arrange to pick it up.

big_wasa

posted on 23/1/10 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
the other white. I was looking over his racing Anglia 187bhp pre xflow
iank

posted on 23/1/10 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
the other white. I was looking over his racing Anglia 187bhp pre xflow

How many engines per mile does he get?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.