Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help cr not running right at all.
chrisxr2

posted on 22/8/10 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Help cr not running right at all.

Right car is constantly misfiring throughout the rev range. Sometimes dieing at junctions, sometimes stuck at between 2500 and 3500 revs no changing down or anything makes a difference you have to pump the accelerator just to keep momentum at all. have changed the fuel filter, cleaned the carb and jets to no avail, the car seems fine when first driving then as it gets warmer gets worse. Not a happy bunny as the car has only been running right for 70 of the miles i have owned it. Think maybe the rolling road is my best tool to use but wonder if anyone has any ideas first??
2.1 pinto with twin webers. I dont think enough fuel is going through when you watch the fuel filter, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

irvined

posted on 22/8/10 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
What ignition are you running?

Could be worth checking your coil/points.

Where is your fuel line running? is it getting hot, boiling the fuel and giving you a vapor lock?

If its just started to happen, then i'd start off with looking at the ignition. If its always been a bit like that, then check your fuel lines are clear, the filter isnt blocked and that your getting a decent fuel pressure.

Is it electrical or mechanical pump?

http://irvined.blogspot.com

DavidM

posted on 22/8/10 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
If it is an inline filter, I'd try the car with it removed. I had a similar problem once when I was using an inline filter that was too big. It never filled with fuel and kept airlocking.

David

Proportion is Everything

chrisxr2

posted on 22/8/10 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
previous owner never had an issue car fine for 70 miles then not working, whats the best way of checking the fuel pressure?? Coil is on my list to check, all other electricals dizzy etc leads seem fine. Good call with removing the filter, is it feasible to just put a smaller one in?? are they fuel system car specific??

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

RAYLEE29

posted on 22/8/10 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
could be an air leak or lack of fuel
its probably something simple
check the fuel supply is the float chamber full when it plays up?
try grabbing the carb and mving it about on tickover do the revs change?
try running wthout the filler cap on the tank vent may have got blocked.
Ray

snapper

posted on 22/8/10 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I hate these problems, is your engine distributor or ECU?
Check spark timing, static, idle and over 3500, check contact gaps, check plugs and leads.
I feel that if if always runs rough and there is fuel then it has the potential to be a spark problem

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

chrisxr2

posted on 22/8/10 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
"I hate these problems, is your engine distributor or ECU? "

Distributor.
The fuel inline filter never looks to have enough fuel going through, when you turn of the ignition it takes about 10 seconds to fill up so just the small bubble at the top is showing. i was thinking fuel starvation, however father in law thinks electrical. thanks for all the replies, my list of stuff to check and recheck gets longer. I know its bound to be something simple but the list of little simple things to check is endless.

dlatch

posted on 22/8/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
definatley sounds like a fuel supply problem the fuel filter needs to be full so i would sort that to start maybe take the filter out and see if it cures problem if not then investigate fuel pump, are you running a electric pump or the mechanical one?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DavidM

posted on 22/8/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisxr2
previous owner never had an issue car fine for 70 miles then not working, whats the best way of checking the fuel pressure?? Coil is on my list to check, all other electricals dizzy etc leads seem fine. Good call with removing the filter, is it feasible to just put a smaller one in?? are they fuel system car specific??

If it is an inline one then you can put a smaller one in, but just take it out initially to eliminate it as the cause.

David

Proportion is Everything

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.