Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New car
jacko

posted on 13/1/24 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
New car

Not kit car
If you had £ 45000 to spend on a new car / suv what would you buy also hybrid or full electric

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 13/1/24 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Can I buy a knackered Ford Fiesta for a bag of sand then use the rest of the money to pay off my crippling mortgage and utility bills?

JoelP

posted on 13/1/24 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Nissan gtr for 35k, ten grand to maintain it, it'll still be worth 35k when you're done.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

coyoteboy

posted on 13/1/24 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Id buy a 10k decent Japanese car and bank the rest
New cars are a depreciating nonsense vanity project.

nick205

posted on 14/1/24 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Id buy a 10k decent Japanese car and bank the rest
New cars are a depreciating nonsense vanity project.

Spot on, gets my vote!

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/1/24 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
Might as well flush the money down the toilet. New cars are a mugs game.

As for a new car if I wasn't paying for it -

1) Tesla model 3 dual motor, probably outside the budget but you asked.

2) MG 3G4 EV

3) VW ID.4

[Edited on 15/1/24 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 15/1/24 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

I had a Model Y (model 3 on steroids!) dual-motor on loan last year - quick, nimble, but I found it very frustrating to drive. Everything is fine... as long as you drive the way it thinks you should drive. Making minor changes to the car's setup involved 30 minutes faffing with the screen. For example, every time I got in, it decided that I needed the heated seats on - as this was in June or July I wasn't too keen! It was reasonably easy to find out how to turn them off, but I never managed to find the setting that cancelled the default. There were a few other trivial things like this that added up to a significant frustration.

Oh - and they've now got rid of the indicator stalk so you can't indicate easily if you're in a significant turn.

[Edited on 15/1/24 by David Jenkins]

nick205

posted on 15/1/24 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
^^^

@davidjenkins

Sounds familiar - first company car I had came with the feature that locks all doors as you pull away. Appreciate what the feature's for, but when you need to collect SWMBO from the station in the rain it was a proper pain. No way of disabling it.

On a main dealer service I mentioned my frustration and they "switched it off" (probably a laptop button press). Made the car significantly better to live with for 3 years.

David Jenkins

posted on 15/1/24 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
^^^

@davidjenkins

Sounds familiar - first company car I had came with the feature that locks all doors as you pull away. Appreciate what the feature's for, but when you need to collect SWMBO from the station in the rain it was a proper pain. No way of disabling it.

On a main dealer service I mentioned my frustration and they "switched it off" (probably a laptop button press). Made the car significantly better to live with for 3 years.

My Kia Niro has an easy-to-find option on the dashboard menu for auto locking and unlocking.

coyoteboy

posted on 15/1/24 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

I had a Model Y (model 3 on steroids!) dual-motor on loan last year - quick, nimble, but I found it very frustrating to drive. Everything is fine... as long as you drive the way it thinks you should drive. Making minor changes to the car's setup involved 30 minutes faffing with the screen. For example, every time I got in, it decided that I needed the heated seats on - as this was in June or July I wasn't too keen! It was reasonably easy to find out how to turn them off, but I never managed to find the setting that cancelled the default. There were a few other trivial things like this that added up to a significant frustration.

Oh - and they've now got rid of the indicator stalk so you can't indicate easily if you're in a significant turn.

I found a thread that suggests you can change the auto seat heaters to disabled, but that if you then cycle the auto climate control from auto to not auto and back on, it re-enables them.

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/1/24 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure if you own the car for a while you'd work out how to configure these more subtle features. My Volvo use to auto lock all the time which was really annoying, until I looked up YouTube and found how to switch it off, dead easy when you know how.

There's no such thing as a perfect car and what car fits you, completely depends on your requirements not what someone else would like. I listed the EV's I'd like but I'd still need an ICE one, well for now at least.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

JoelP

posted on 16/1/24 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
My disco 3 has so many things like that, like needing 2 clicks of the key to open back doors, where the lever inside doesn't unlock doors etc. I hate that you can't change it. Might Google to see if you actually can!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

nick205

posted on 16/1/24 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
My disco 3 has so many things like that, like needing 2 clicks of the key to open back doors, where the lever inside doesn't unlock doors etc. I hate that you can't change it. Might Google to see if you actually can!

Google and YouTube are often helpful for things like this (that other owners will have battled with). Things like turning off service indicator lights when you've serviced it yourself.

coyoteboy

posted on 16/1/24 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I enjoy the fact that Nissan put a self-test sequence into my 370Z which actuates a few of the electrical items like fans, wipers etc from the control system so you can test them while under the bonnet alone. Very useful. But I can't enable/disable a bunch of features the dealer can, like auto-roll-up of the windows from the remote.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.