Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: B100 Biodiesel at the pump
zilspeed

posted on 13/3/10 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
B100 Biodiesel at the pump

Been running on it for around a month now.
Didn't want to fess up before now in case it all went a bit Pete Tong.

Rather conveniently, there are two place quite near me who both sell it at the pump.

One of them I haven't visited yet, because he's a bit dear.

89p a litre.

The other one which is a bit nearer me gets my vote. He doesn't advertise and is a bit tricky to find. Also, if you go too late in the day, he's sold out. His pump seems to be broken, because the money bit of the display seems to take so long to go up.

85p a litre.

Anyone else tried this brave new tree hugging world reprocessed transesterification pakora / chip / doughnut oil goodness ?

PS - the engine in the Zilbus is an HDI, so wouldn't run on stuff that isn't 100% ok.
Predictably, the less enlightened of my workmates won't even try it. They much prefer the 114p a litre supermarket stuff.

sebastiaan

posted on 13/3/10 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Biggest bonus: it doesn't make you smell like sh*t if you get it on your hands!
carlknight1982

posted on 13/3/10 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
i did some trials with B100 from a company called bionic fuels on generators and on an engine sitting at constant RPM it causes significant damage, you get deposits form on the injector nozzles which in turn stops proper atomisation causing fuel to run down the bores and gather in the sump, this dilutes the enigne oil to the point of causing excessive wear in the big ends, then a chemical reacion takes place between the b100/oil and white metal in the sump causing the oil to turn to something akin to Tar.

however on the plus side we did a rpm range test on 2 vans and never had an issue, it seems the 1500rpm speed of a diesel generator was the main area of concern.

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

prawnabie

posted on 13/3/10 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
We have had 4 cans at work now that have needed complete fuel systems on - all 4 owners have admitted running them on biodiesel!!

Each one had a fuel filter full of sludge and a pump that couldn't delver the fuel pressure required...

sebastiaan

posted on 13/3/10 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure you are not mixing up biodiesel and PPO?

quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
We have had 4 cans at work now that have needed complete fuel systems on - all 4 owners have admitted running them on biodiesel!!

Each one had a fuel filter full of sludge and a pump that couldn't delver the fuel pressure required...

zilspeed

posted on 13/3/10 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie

The sludge thing I can understand.
I went into this completely expecting to have to have to fit a new fuel filter quite early on. I'm told it cleans out the fuel system and deposits all the crud in the fuel filter. Thereafter, it should be no more than normal servicing.
I certainly wouldn't run it on SVO, it just wouldn't run at all being an HDI rather than an old fashioned straightforward mechanical system.

coozer

posted on 13/3/10 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
I used to buy the 3 litre bottles of rape oil in Tesco and tip them straight into the tank in the car park.

Never had an issue, just stopped using it cause its the same price as derv atm

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

NigeEss

posted on 13/3/10 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I used to buy the 3 litre bottles of rape oil in Tesco and tip them straight into the tank in the car park.

Never had an issue, just stopped using it cause its the same price as derv atm

Ditto but the 20l drums from Costco.

Ninehigh

posted on 14/3/10 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
There's also something about the fuel pump. The type that is lubricated from the diesel (like in my Mondeo) doesn't like bio one bit. After filling up on it twice I could barely get to 30mph with a full load of people without it cutting out on me. Shame really as I could get it for 70p/l when normal diesel was £1.30.

Ford recommends no more than 5% bio, but I have seen old mercs and land rovers running off oil fresh filtered from the chippy

MikeR

posted on 14/3/10 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
few things here...

bio cleans out the fuel system. Normal diesel has lots of crap in it. If you change over then replace the fuel filter and after 500 miles replace it again. From then on, if you stick to bio you can stick to normal service interval.

If you're getting straight 100bio and not making your own - be careful. Get the testing equipments from a place that sells the stuff for you to make your own and test the fuel you buy. Lad round here did it and found the local 85p / litre supplier was not doing a proper job leaving too much of a chemical in the fuel. This would over time wreck your fuel system.

Also, check what pump you have. On the older mechanical pumps like on landrovers the bosch pump works on the stuff fine. The lucas dies quickly. On more modern HDI stuff .... it seems its up to you. Some manufacturers say its ok, others say max 5%. I've no idea how much this is down to deals with fuel companies and how much is fact - what i do know is modern fuel pumps cost a fortune.

so in summary - if your pump can take it and you're getting decent fuel, you'll be fine. If you've got poor fuel / the pump can't take it / you don't clean the fuel filter out it will have problems.

(experience from reading up on this a LOT and having a bloke in the office who makes his own in large quantities).

zilspeed

posted on 14/3/10 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Mike

You're quite right.

Apart from the gelling in the cold, the cautious side of me tells me to run a mix at all times - to lessen any such effects.

I do get what you're saying about doing your own testing and have been reading a lot on the subject.

Ninehigh

posted on 14/3/10 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
The lucas dies quickly.

That's the one, lubricated by the diesel and bio's too thin to work properly

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.