Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Am I fuŁŁed for a SORN fine?
ReMan

posted on 14/3/10 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Am I fuŁŁed for a SORN fine?

I was going to take the Indy out for a spin today as it is the first dry and sunny day since December the 31st.
Just as I was about to take the car off my drive I noticed that the tax disk ran out on Dec 31st, so obviously I put the car away again and polished my spanners instead

Now I'm sure I posted the form off to the PO address mentioned to SORN it as the weather forcast for Jan Feb Mar was so bad, but have no proof of posting.

Now as confirmed on the DVLA website, my car is neither SORN or taxed, should i have had a reminder/fine sent to me, or will i only get this once I now tax the car?

What are my options?
What will it cost me?

ashg

posted on 14/3/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
just go and tax it should be ok if you haven't had a fine already. at worst its an Ł80 fine

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

blakep82

posted on 14/3/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
i've had cars in the past that weren't taxed or sorn and not got a fine. do it asap though to make sure it doesn't happen

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

TigerB6 Paul

posted on 14/3/10 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
As above - it generally takes several months before they pick up on it. You will be asked if it has been used on the road since though - and they'll note the answer from memory of having taxed a car a few days after the prev one ran out.
yellow melos

posted on 14/3/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
i got sorn fine after 35 days.. you used to get 30 days to notify of sorn, you now only get 14 days.

i am suprised you did not get a sorn fine through allready.

you can also declair the sorn on the DVLA website.. just need your logbook number.

keith777

posted on 14/3/10 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I got stung bout 2 years ago car was in garage totally forgot about tax,next thing Ł80 fine in post,just another government scam to get money off car drivers!!
Paradoxia0

posted on 14/3/10 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
I got stung for my bike last year, parked it up for the winter and 3 months later got a fine through the post.

I immediately called the DVLA and paid up. The young lady on the phone said that as I hadn't been using the bike during those months I just needed to pay the fine and tax it from now, saved 3 months tax!

If you haven't got a fine already just get it taxed ASAP.

Mark

There is no replacement for displacement...

MakeEverything

posted on 14/3/10 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Just tax it and if questioned, tell them that you sent them the SORN declaration in December, and that its not your fault that their systems are so inefficient.

Worked for me. In fact, they sent my cheque back.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

owelly

posted on 14/3/10 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Phone the DVLA on 0870 2400010 and tell them that you posted off your SORN declaration at the end of December but you've just realised that you didn't get an acknowledgement letter. Your declaration must have got lost in the post. Don't wait for the fine letter to arrive.
You have four weeks from when you 'sent' the declaration to recieve the acknowledgement letter then you're supposed to chase it. It's your responsibilty to chase it so do it NOW!!
I've done exactly as I've described and not had a fine.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 14/3/10 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, Nothing through the post and no bayleafs yet.Not sure what the best next move is?
Tax it at a PO? or Just do it online and hope I don't get a fine?
Or ring them and explain?
SORN it for a short while?

ReMan

posted on 14/3/10 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Just tax it and if questioned, tell them that you sent them the SORN declaration in December, and that its not your fault that their systems are so inefficient.

Worked for me. In fact, they sent my cheque back.

I'm thinkng this is preobably the best option as I need to tax it..

morcus

posted on 15/3/10 at 02:04 AM Reply With Quote
These things happen. My Dad got sent a fine for a car that he'd sold to a dealer and had since been sold to someone else (And was taxed) due to some kind of computor error, they sent out an apology that said the car had some how been on the system twice, once with him as the owner and oncew with its new owners.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

JoelP

posted on 15/3/10 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
i would follow owellys advice. If you just tax it you will get fined because they will think you've used it for the 2 months it wasnt taxed for.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

steve m

posted on 15/3/10 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I do agree. that us "legal" car drivers are being penalized, for not sorning our off the road cars, but the problem does not sit there

What about the 10% of vehicles on the road daily (official figures) that are driven with out Insurance or MOT, ??
At least the no Tax bit highlights to the Police that there could be other anomolies to the vehicle

there was one incident on a "Police camera" programme i watched a week or so ago, were the car's numberplate had been tampered with, a 0 made into a 8
so he was pulled, he had no tax insurance, and i believe over the drink drive limit

I was PLEASED that this obvious disregard for the rules got him into a right mess

HAHAHAHAHA

tomprescott

posted on 15/3/10 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Tax it asap, My bike was untaxed for about 4 months, I kept mening to sorn it but just forgot, sorned it online, no fine!

A bird in the hand....

JoelP

posted on 15/3/10 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
there was one incident on a "Police camera" programme i watched a week or so ago, were the car's numberplate had been tampered with, a 0 made into a 8
so he was pulled, he had no tax insurance, and i believe over the drink drive limit

think i saw that one, what sort of numpty changes an 02 plate to an 82 plate thats never been issued?! Especially when its a stolen car on a fake plate anyway...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.