Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bora strange faults - help
Stott

posted on 4/4/10 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Bora strange faults - help

Hi, got a Bora 2.0 SE, 2000 on a V with some strange problems.

Alarm self triggers, windows sometimes dont work, hazards flash (fast - as in alarm speed), dash warning lights for abs fault come on, sometimes triggered by putting the windows up, interior lights don't work, all intermittent though, its a bit weird. Have even had it driving along and if I pulled the drivers window switch up it would kill the engine and bring the abs light on, then another couple of pulls and fault goes away?!?!

Earlier had the mileage and time flickering on the dash while the relays clicked in the CCU at about 10 times per second.

Have checked all the wiring and connectors and earths and all is ok. Ran diagnostics on it but no fault codes stored in the CCU (controls alarm, windows, interior lights, immobiliser, central locking) so starting to think this unit is at fault itself. Just strange why the abs is faulting and seems in some way related.

ABS isn't functioning at the moment, locking all wheels but rears first so it's a bit lethal if you have a moment in the wet.

Anybody got any ideas before I blow £55 on a CCU just to try it?

PS background info - battery is 2 yrs old & ok, car not affected by recall on abs pumps either

Cheers in advance
Stott

mookaloid

posted on 4/4/10 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I think it's haunted

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

big_wasa

posted on 4/4/10 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked if you have any faults stored in the ecu ?

My mate had problems like that and never did get to the bottom of it. Countless parts checked and replaced.

Russell

posted on 4/4/10 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like damp in the CCU. Keep a look out on eBay for one. I just sold a Passat one and only got about a tenner for it.

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

Stott

posted on 4/4/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I thought that but no evidence of damp there or ever having been, CCU been stripped and the boards look ok, no burning or dry joints, completely dry.

This has been intermittent over 6 months but is now really unmanageable, hence I have been watching for them on ebay etc, best I have come up with is £50, there is one on there now fro £55 delivered.

No codes of any worth in the ecu either...

zetec mike

posted on 4/4/10 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'd suggest a good look at earths and power feeds, could be loose or high resistance engine earth.
skinned knuckles

posted on 4/4/10 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like an earth fault to me. especially if it has been getting worse over time as this would indicate the nut slackening off more and more, causing increaced resistance and sparking on the terminals.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.