Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tips for driving in the rain - Myth or real
Ivan

posted on 7/4/10 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Tips for driving in the rain - Myth or real

This is doing the rounds.

The first one might be worth trying - maybe to do with glare - but not sure what police & insurance will say in the event of an accident and you're wearing sun glasses in bad visibility.

The second one sounds like bs because if you aquaplane then tyres will accelerate and Cruise Control will reduce throttle input. Unless of course its RWD and front wheels lift and rear wheels retain traction - then you might accelerate.

What do the experts think:

"Rain & Driving
>
GOOD VISION IN A DOWNPOUR
> #1: How to easily achieve good vision while driving during a heavy downpour…
> We are not sure why it is so effective; just try this when it rains heavily. This
method was told by a Police friend who had experienced and confirmed it.
> Note: It is useful, even when driving at night. Most of the motorists would turn
on HIGH or FASTEST SPEED of the wipers during heavy downpour, yet the
visibility in front of the windshield is still bad... Don’t do it. Listen:
> In the event you face such a situation, just try your SUNGLASSES (any model
will do), and miracle of miracles occurs! All of a sudden, your visibility in front
of your windshield is perfectly clear, as if there is no rain.
> Make sure you always have a pair of SUNGLASSES in your car, as you are
> not only helping yourself to drive safely with good vision, but also might save
your friend's life by giving him this idea. Try it yourself and share it with your friends!
> Amazingly you still see the drops on the windshield, but not the sheet of rain falling!
You can actually see where the rain bounces off the road. It works to eliminate the
blindness" from passing semi's spraying you too. Or the "kick-up" if you are
following a semi or car in the rain.
> They ought to teach that “little” tip in driver's training... It really does work!
Check out the next one below:
> *******************************************
> #2:
> This warning is another good one! I wonder how many people know about this.
A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago and totaled her car. A
resident of Kilgore, TX and she was traveling between Gladewater & Kilgore.
It was raining, though not excessively, when her car suddenly began to hydro-plane
and literally flew through the air. She was not seriously injured but very stunned at
the sudden occurrence!
> When she explained to the highway patrolman what had happened he told her
something that every driver should know - NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH
YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON. She thought she was being cautious by setting
the cruise control and maintaining a safe consistent speed in the rain.
> But the highway patrolman told her that if the cruise control is on when your car
begins to hydro-plane and your tires lose contact with the pavement, your car will
accelerate to a higher rate of speed making you take off like an airplane. She
told the patrolman that was exactly what had occurred..
> The patrolman said this warning should be listed, on the driver's seat sun-visor -
NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE PAVEMENT IS WET OR
> ICY, along with the airbag warning. We tell our teenagers to set the cruise control
and drive a safe speed - but we don't tell them to use the cruise control only when
the pavement is dry.
> The only person the accident victim found, who knew this (besides the patrolman),
was a man who had a similar accident, totaled his car and sustained severe injuries.
> NOTE: Some vehicles, like the Toyota Sienna Limited XLE, will not allow you to set
the cruise control when the windshield wipers are on. Good for Toyota. Other car
manufacturers should integrate this life-saving feature.

cd.thomson

posted on 7/4/10 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
How fast would wheels have to spin to generate lift?

Who writes these things!

Craig

alistairolsen

posted on 7/4/10 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
the usual over written americanised poo thats painful to read but a couple of valid points.

The first sounds unlikely it will be as good as it makes out, but certainly will we an effect of polarising sunglasses rather than conventional lenses.

The latter makes perfect sense but who the hell sets cruise control in an are where you are likely to get standing water? I only ever use it on the motorway when its quiet.....

My Build Thread

scudderfish

posted on 7/4/10 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
The second part sounds like nutsack to me. If you have no traction, how do you accelerate? If you have no traction, your indicated speed will be higher than your actual speed so the CC should throttle back.

If you are aquaplaning, whether it is the CC or you operating the throttle, you're still heading for the ditch until you're out of the water. There may be something going on if the CC throttles back majorly, engine revs drop to idle, and then you hit dry tarmac you'll get significant engine braking, but otherwise this smells.

MakeEverything

posted on 7/4/10 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
What a load of old bollocks.

Sunglasses at night, in the rain? The guy should try it himself and drive the M25 in January rush hour traffic. Twat.

"Note: It is useful, even when driving at night."

The second one is a load of old crap as well. You can aquaplane a car at any speed because of the tread filling with water. The centrifugal effect will void the tread of water most likely, but still not a nice place to be.
Cruise control systems dont accellerate like that when they lose traction anyway. Quite the opposite in fact.

American bullshit written by teenagers.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

cd.thomson

posted on 7/4/10 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
bullhsti

OMMM

Craig

deezee

posted on 7/4/10 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Usual crap with the arbitrary endorsement by a professional or person of authority "Police friend who had experienced and confirmed it"... Did he? Really? Oh wow, then it must be true.

blakep82

posted on 7/4/10 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
agree with the cruise control thing (well, not the taking off obviously!) but aside from that, absolte balls

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

FFTS

posted on 7/4/10 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
Usual crap with the arbitrary endorsement by a professional or person of authority "Police friend who had experienced and confirmed it"... Did he? Really? Oh wow, then it must be true.

If iank or david jenkins didnt confirm it then its NOT true!!

Chris.

scudderfish

posted on 7/4/10 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
What I want to know is how MakeEverything managed to post nutsack as when I posted nutsack it got translated
boggle

posted on 7/4/10 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
What I want to know is how MakeEverything managed to post nutsack as when I posted nutsack it got translated

cos he is a nutsack...

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

blakep82

posted on 7/4/10 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish

you posted nutsack twice there

wonder if the full stop tricks it nutsack bollocks.

ha ha! it does!

[Edited on 7/4/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

speedyxjs

posted on 7/4/10 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
I have actually tried the first one. Not because i heard that it works but because i forgot to take them off (clip on things go over my normal glasses) The part about it making the rain is total nutsack but it did actually help when i did it!

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Stott

posted on 7/4/10 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
And what's all this about driving on wet pavements with the cruise on, pedestrians would be shittin it!............
eddie99

posted on 7/4/10 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stott
And what's all this about driving on wet pavements with the cruise on, pedestrians would be shittin it!............

Thats what i thought!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
morcus

posted on 7/4/10 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Not tried either but It doesn't sound right. I wouldn't put cruise control on in heavy rain, but not for fear of the car taking off.

I've seen people stopped on TV shows for wearing sun glasses at night.

Surely if your driving in rain so heavy that at the highest speed the wipers don't give you enough visability the correct solution is to either slow down or stop completely, I made the mistake of driving in Heavy snow (the air just looked white, and stopped where I could till it eased enough for me to limp home.

If it was genuinly endorsed, someone would put thier name to it.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Liam

posted on 7/4/10 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
What a load of old barlocks.

As above - surely if you start sliding on water your wheels will spin quicker with the current throttle setting. This will make the speed read higher so cruise control will cut the throttle. Duur

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.