Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: driving the se7en in ash cloud
Slater

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
driving the se7en in ash cloud

I drove the kit to work today, before I left my good wife said are you sure you should be driving it with the pollution coming from iceland, stupidly I ingnored her advice and jumped jumped in the car and drove to work.

Now I having arrived I find out there is a huge volcanic ash cloud on it's way from Iceland, it will be here about 1pm. Oh dear.

Any advice for driving in an ash cloud?? I have a pipercross sausage filter so hopefully that will stop any of it going through the engine. All the Scottish airports are shut, plane engine and ash don't mix very well. Must be the end of the world.

linker thingy

[Edited on 15/4/10 by Slater]

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

mistergrumpy

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Just ignore it I reckon. Manchester airports shut 7am until 1 pm so we must be getting it before you?
Sounds like a crock to me!

richardh

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
oops! could you cover it and leave it there and get a lift back. save the engine sucking in crap.

Time for a change!

iank

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Unless you're driving at 10,000 ft I doubt it will be much of a problem.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

coozer

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
My advice would be not to drive over 10,000 feet, that way you may just avoid it..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, apparently it's between 6 and 11 miles up! So unless you're running your car on Helium I don't think you'll have an issue

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

edspurrier

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
IMagine if you drive through it you'd clog up your filter.

Mate of my dad's did one fly a 747 through an unforecast ash cloud and suddenly found himself with 4 dead engines. Slightly exciting

Dusty

posted on 15/4/10 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
As long as the filter is well oiled the engine should be OK. Health and safety is advising that all UK residents should hold their breath till next Tuesday to avoid ash contamination of their lung tissues.
AdamR

posted on 15/4/10 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edspurrier
Mate of my dad's did one fly a 747 through an unforecast ash cloud and suddenly found himself with 4 dead engines. Slightly exciting

That was on Air Crash Investigation a while back - one of my favourite TV shows.

scootz

posted on 15/4/10 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamR
quote:
Originally posted by edspurrier

That was on Air Crash Investigation a while back - one of my favourite TV shows.

Saw that one too! Really used to enjoy it, but scares the crap out of me (I'm not a great flyer!).

What about that one in Japan that went out of control and was climbing / diving for an hour or so before diving a little too low... Must have been terrified... hell, I was terrified just watching it!

It's Evolution Baby!

ken555

posted on 15/4/10 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
I was on my way to buy some wet and dry paper to rub down my paint.

Think now I will wait and then rub it with a dry cloth.

What grit do you think ash is equivalent to ?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 15/4/10 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
Just ignore it I reckon. Manchester airports shut 7am until 1 pm so we must be getting it before you?
Sounds like a crock to me!

bbc says

no flights would be allowed in or out of UK airspace from midday to 1800BST

Fozzie

posted on 15/4/10 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
In the past we have all, or most, woken up to 'red dust' where winds in the Sahara have dumped the sand on us, so, I would imagine there may be a 'certain' amount of ash residue dumped upon us....at some point.

As to whether or not that 'certain amount' is negligible or significant, no one is saying......I suppose it depends on which way the wind is blowing.

It seems as though Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted will be closing at around 1pm.
However, I am 6 miles south east of Heathrow, and the skies are eerily quiet at the moment.... .... nothing going over toward Europe, and nowt coming in from that direction either.......I haven't even seen any flights taking off towards the west either... (Americas) ......

Having just typed that ^ ^ I have just heard a plane...ascending and heading south....but still none on the 'Europe flight path'.....

Fozzie .....

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

JC

posted on 15/4/10 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Was supposed to be flying this morning (window seats at the front!). From what I was told, not a lot will fly in the UK maybe until Sunday!!!!

Smells of Sulphur also reported in the shetlands!

For details of the 747 over indonesia try :

linky

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AdamR

posted on 15/4/10 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC

linky

Bandwidth exceeded! Obviously a popular website today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

Bluemoon

posted on 15/4/10 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
ash is nasty to jet engines (after all they don't have air filters!), it is very abrasive (glass shards basically), and the planes instruments can't tell it from clouds, so you don't know it's there (hence the no-flying rules if they know it's about).

The stuff sandblast the windscreen (not good nice to see where your going). It also melts in the engine being glass, clogging stuff, and then it also sandblasts the engines tubine blades... The stuff is also conductive and could play havoc with the planes electrics..

Like said unless your driving the 7 at 8km up in the air (I think the ask would be the least of you worries!) I'd not worry to much...

Dan

iank

posted on 15/4/10 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamR
quote:
Originally posted by JC

linky

Bandwidth exceeded! Obviously a popular website today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control. I trust you are not in too much distress.

One wonders what kind of problem would register as major, and whether he could hear the screaming from the cabin.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

boggle

posted on 15/4/10 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
ash cloud???

no different to any other day in 'the big smoke' then???

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.