Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Astra VXR grinding noise from front RH side. Ideas?
craig1410

posted on 14/6/10 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Astra VXR grinding noise from front RH side. Ideas?

Hi,
A friend of mine has just taken me out for a short run in his 06 plate VXR to ask if I can tell what is causing a noise from the RH front wheel. Here are the symptoms.

Mixture of grinding and tinkling noise from wheel when turning right around roundabouts. The noise remains even if brakes are pressed lightly. The noise sounds a bit like grinding glass if that makes sense. Not quite the usual dull clicky, grinding noise of a duff CV joint. It did seem slightly worse if accelerating while turning.

He has had the lower wishbone changed already but this hasn't helped. No signs of play in the wheel bearing or TRE. I couldn't reach the anti roll bar to check it for play and I was in office clothes so didn't want to lie under the car to check for driveshaft play.

I did rotate the wheel and although there is no loud noises I could feel some signs of grinding through my finger tips.

My thoughts are that the CV joint is on the way out but the boot isn't split and I wouldn't have expected a CV failure for a 4 year old car. The driver likes to use the performance from time to time but is far from being a hooligan and he looks after it well.

Any ideas of cause and approximate cost to repair?

Many thanks,
Craig.

[Edited on 14/6/2010 by craig1410]

[Edited on 14/6/2010 by craig1410]

r1_pete

posted on 14/6/10 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go for the wheel bearing or outer CV joint.

IIRC those boots on the CVs have a habit of splitting, shedding their grease, and running dry.

[Edited on 14/6/10 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 14/6/10 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Either the brake dust shield rubbing on the disk or wheel bearing.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

skinned knuckles

posted on 14/6/10 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
i know you said you checked for wheel bearing play but i'd check again. in my experience, if its a CV problem you tend to get clunking on the extremeties of the steering lock. a grinding noise and a grinding sensition you can feel when you rotate the wheel in the straight ahead suggests bearings. could be a daft question but have you had the wheel off to check for debris wedged in the caliper that could be grinding on the disc?

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

craig1410

posted on 14/6/10 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skinned knuckles
i know you said you checked for wheel bearing play but i'd check again. in my experience, if its a CV problem you tend to get clunking on the extremeties of the steering lock. a grinding noise and a grinding sensition you can feel when you rotate the wheel in the straight ahead suggests bearings. could be a daft question but have you had the wheel off to check for debris wedged in the caliper that could be grinding on the disc?

When I could feel the grinding sensation it was with the wheel at about 3/4 of full right lock.

No, I've not looked for debris as it was just a quick look at lunchtime while in office clothes.

I will pass on any suggestions though.

Thanks all,
Craig.

b16mts

posted on 14/6/10 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ive had a very similar noise on 2 difference cars. Both times it was a small stone/piece of gravel stuck between the disc and the shield plate thingy.

annoying to diagnose, but a very cheap fix!

may sound silly, but worth a look first off before spending any money. does he drive on gravelly roads much (i used to be down a 1 mile farm track, hence it happened a couple of times to me)

best of luck.

Martin

who says you can't drive a kit car when you're 6'5"?

craig1410

posted on 14/6/10 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I've passed on everyone's suggestions and he is off home tonight to have a look for stones in the works. I still think it is the CV joint myself but will let you know the outcome either way.

Thanks again,
Craig.

craig1410

posted on 17/6/10 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Problem solved! It was the brake disc shield on the opposite side of the car rubbing directly on the disc!

He had a go at the car two night ago but couldn't budge some of the wheel nuts even with a proper wheel nut wrench. I brought in my 24" breaker bar yesterday along with some copper grease and went round his car taking all 20 studs out one at a time and lightly greased them. One of the nuts was so tight it started to shear my short socket extension bar but I got it off in the end.

So last night he had a look at the right hand side, where the noise appeared to be coming from, and saw that the disc shield was quite close to the disc. He bent it slightly back to provide more clearance. He then looked at the left hand side and found that it was actually touching the disc! After bending it back slightly as well, the noise has gone away!

So, a good result all round and as a bonus he will now have a good chance of getting his wheel off in the event of a puncture!

Thanks for all your suggestions,
Craig (and Gordon).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.