posted on 6/7/10 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
electric kit video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-yG1WFcakU

dp1e on track. Looks fun!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

carpmart

posted on 6/7/10 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
always in the right gear!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Dangle_kt

posted on 6/7/10 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
wonder what the range is?

I am really interested in electric motorsport - it WILL be the future, tracks could pop up all over the show, motorcycle, car, kart, MX, trials, whatever - if its silent, or near silent it becomes so much more accessable and easier to open and stay open.

Currently even established tracks are closing due to noise - its sad but true.

The limiting factor is the battery technology limiting the range.

BUT combine electric vehicles with remote charging via a wireless power tansfer, and the range grows significantly, and maybe even drops the weight due to needing less batteries.

A closed circuit would be ideal for some of the wireless power technology which will be on the way soon - some will charge at up to 2 meters!, so a car 3 inches from the track will be no problem.

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/7/10 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
I would love to build something like an Aptera hybrid using a small diesel engine driving a generator, better than 2 tonnes of batteries in the boot

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

MikeR

posted on 6/7/10 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
I was wondering about this over Christmas.

two 15hp motors, one driving each wheel. A small number of batteries to provide extra capacity for acceleration. I was reading how little power you need to maintain a streamlined vehicle at a reasonable speed. You needs lots of HP to increase the speed.

(i settled on 30hp using the assumption an old style mini was fast enough for city mooching, i stopped dreaming about it when i saw how much two 15hp motors cost!)

MakeEverything

posted on 6/7/10 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Lol, "Wireless Power Transfer"?

I dont know if you ever studies physics, but thats pretty much impossible - in this application at least.

You can get an arc or induced power through magnetism (in laymans terms), but the hazards associated with these make it unfeasible.

[Edited on 6-7-10 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Dangle_kt

posted on 7/7/10 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
I have not studied anything formally. I listen to lots of technology podcasts though, and Phillips are about to release this exact product but with a very short range on approx 30cm.

It may be duff info, and if it is then sorry, but if it isn't and I'm right then
You dot need to say sorry... :p

Stott

posted on 7/7/10 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
One way to keep ample power going to them would be to 'slot' the track, then line said slot with a conductor, and cunningly attach sort of 'guides' to the underside of the cars.

If then the cars ran in the guides, they could derive all their power needs from the track being 'plugged in'

The best part being they would be more controllable, resulting in 4-5 year olds being able to participate.

Then, when everyones bored, pack it all up in a cardboard box, and throw it up the loft, to be forgotten about for ever, which is the best thing for electric cars. IMHO.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.