Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Towing trailers
luke

posted on 7/8/10 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Towing trailers

hi all,

I passed my driving test in 2005, and have categories B and B1. ive been told i can tow unbraked trailers up to 750kg.

however im looking at doing my test, and looking at the classifications its all confusing. one page says i cant tow at all, then another says a trailer with a MAM up to 3500, and doesnt mention braked or unbraked.

anyone that has passed there test after 97, do you know what exactly the law is?

luke

SteveWalker

posted on 7/8/10 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Take a look at http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/
JoelP

posted on 7/8/10 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
you can tow a trailer plated at up to 750kgs with a vehicle up to 3500kgs,

OR

a combo where the TOTAL doesnt exceed 3500kgs and the plated weight of the trailer is less than half the GVW of the towing vehicle.

Passing the E test means you can tow up to the vehicles towing capacity.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

alistairolsen

posted on 8/8/10 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:

* a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

Whereas

* the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
* Vehicle manufacturers normally recommend a maximum weight of trailer appropriate to their vehicle. Details can usually be found in the vehicle's handbook or obtained from car dealerships. The size of the trailer recommended for an average family car with an unladen weight of around 1 tonne would be well within the new category B threshold.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_10013073

My Build Thread

coozer

posted on 8/8/10 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
With the nanny state telling you can't do this, that or this, without this bit, that bit and the other I would advise going straight for the jugular and step up to either class C, C1 then the appropriate +E afterwards.

That should cover all bases.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

JoelP

posted on 8/8/10 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
that could be the case coozer, since C1+E automatically adds the +E to B. However, i have heard it suggested that the B+E test can be passed without lessons, provided you have some experience, which would make it only cost about £80, which i would guess is substantially cheaper than doing the full C or C1 tests.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.