Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Something you do not see every day
mark chandler

posted on 5/9/10 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Something you do not see every day

Went to the Dorset steam fair yesterday, its a fantastic event, never seen so many children playing with steam engines at once, but then the commentator did make note that this event was completely unique in the world.

They find the heaviest thing to pull, chain some engines to it and have a go, here's a 200ton train and trailer being dragged up a hill.....

The lorry is coupled to add weight and hold the air brakes off.

train_under_tow
train_under_tow

We have also got it very wrong, steam cars are the way forward, already blinged up with fat exhaust pipes, this one is good for over 100mph, the record is around 150mph now, although the previous record in the early 1920's was 134mph in one of these.

Stanley_going_away
Stanley_going_away

Stanley_coming
Stanley_coming

[Edited on 5/9/10 by mark chandler]

David Jenkins

posted on 5/9/10 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a ride on a replica Stanley steam car - almost silent putter-putter-putter through a busy lane, then a mighty roar up to 50 or 60mph on a clear straight.

Amazing acceleration, when you see the size of the steam engine itself (tiny).

mrwibble

posted on 5/9/10 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
not sure that stanley would pass iva, the visibile emissions tester is first blinded by steam and then boiled alive

cool pics

Richard Quinn

posted on 5/9/10 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
One of the lads who works for me was down there with their family's showman's engine. That's a big bugger!
nick205

posted on 5/9/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic event the steam fair - haven't been for many years though, never seem to remember in time

Something magical about the smells and sounds and scale of the big engines.

McLannahan

posted on 5/9/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I went yesterday too - an amazing event and the size is staggering, it's almost like a moveable town!

Day spoilt a little when I entered into a "discussion" with an ape who thought dropping countless bits of litter and then threatening me would impress his "lucky" wife...

Shame really - good day but there was a small element of people there that shouldn't have really been released for the day!

nick205

posted on 6/9/10 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
I went yesterday too - an amazing event and the size is staggering, it's almost like a moveable town!

Day spoilt a little when I entered into a "discussion" with an ape who thought dropping countless bits of litter and then threatening me would impress his "lucky" wife...

Shame really - good day but there was a small element of people there that shouldn't have really been released for the day!

You'll always get some of them at public events, trouble is they can't generally read or communicate very well so just wander around bored looking for aggravation

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 6/9/10 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine used to have a steam roller, which he took to events like this. Was an awesome machine.
Unfortunately there was an incident where a kid high on something jumped right in front of him, with forseeable results. My mate wouldn't drive it again after that.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.