Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT:- Could I buy a Land Rover TD5 for £2.5k?
Steve Hignett

posted on 5/9/10 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
OT:- Could I buy a Land Rover TD5 for £2.5k?

As above!

And if not, how much?

And does anyone have any better suggestions for a family 4x4 that may one day be used to launch and collect a speedboat into/out of the sea?

Is Japanese better? (Shogun, L200, Navara)

If Land Rover is best, but can't afford the TD5, would a Disco be ok? I take it 300Tdi is the one to want?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for all the questions!!!

The £2.5k isn't in my hand now, and may never be - a young lady decided to drive out of a side street into the side of my BM and damaged all down the side, so I'm hoping if the bill is more than a couple/three grand then it'll get written off...

Steve

[Edited on 5/9/10 by Steve Hignett]

wilkingj

posted on 5/9/10 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
With a Landy, PAY for the Condition NOT the Age on the registration.

ANY motor that you are going to lauch a boat into the sea with, will end up with a rotten chassis. Sea water and cars dont mix.

If you are going to do this, then I would reccoomend you steam clean it underneath, then give a liberal spraying of Waxoil inside and outside the chassis, followed by a fresh water rinse EVERY TIME after dunking the vehicle in sea water.

Landys are not invincible, but will last if take care of.

PS... Landys are 60s design and technology, and require 60's style maintenance (EVEN the newer ones). ie they are not service once in a blue moon and forget about them inbetween.

I know I have had 5 of them. I love them!
But I am getting too old for all the work, and the expense now that I am retired.
Just my 2d's worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hillbillyracer

posted on 5/9/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I'd second the above, condition over age & miles is everything with a Landy, & still is to a large extent with any off-roader.
Chassis rust is still a major thing with all off-roaders once they get a bit of age on them, Toyota seem to resist it best & Isuzus the worst, but if as & when a Landy does rust they're easler to weld up (the chassis is a simpler shape & access is better) than the Jap stuff plus there's loads of repair sections available.

The 4cyl TDi might be a better bet than the TD5 at that money, no complex electrics, & a simpler, cheaper to fix engine.
Once they get to 12+ years old the value doesnt tend to drop much, I know a bloke up here that has just bought a D reg non-turbo 90 for £1000, it's not mint body-wise but the chassis is good, it's very slow but dead easy to work on.

plentywahalla

posted on 5/9/10 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 2000 Disco II TD5 which I would be happy to get £2.5K for if I ever decided to sell it.

However It does have 220,000 miles on the clock, the dogs have made a bit of a mess of the back and the central locking is a bit erratic.

So they are about at that price but usually for a good reason. It does depends on how car proud you are.

She runs sweet as a nut will cruise at 90 all day and tows like a train which is why I love it.

It is my fourth Disco. I have had japanese and american 4x4's and nothing compares in my opinion.

tony-devon

posted on 6/9/10 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I would say so, as the others have said, condition before age

dealer next to me had a 2000 plate TD5 for sale, was good condition, started and ran well, interior was dirty but would have cleaned up ok

that was £1995, someone came from birmingham with a trailer and took it home within hours of it being advertised, spoke with the dealer and he was really bemused, as he didnt get another single call for it after that.

round my way, ie in the country, older 4x4 seem to be fairly cheap, farmers etc buy new ones, the posh people buy new ones, and the rest of us cant afford to run them, I have seen 51 plate range rovers at £2495, but who wants a 4.0 petrol in this day and age

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve Hignett

posted on 6/9/10 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice so far...

Is there a chance that 4x4's go up in price a little at the end of the year, because I've been looking on ebay and not really seeing any cheap ones?

Based on what a couple of you have said, if they'd been in dealers for 2k and a year 2000 that you'd happy to get that for it, I'd have expected a few scrappy ones to be around the 1500 - 2000 mark, but they all seem to be 25000 - 3000!

As for "buy on condition", I've hopefully got that bit covered as a friend is very into Land Rovers (Very, Very into!), but the reason for asking here re the price, is because he's famous for overpaying on everything. Which is no bad thing, but it's not my ethos!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.