Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What diesel engine....
Simon

posted on 17/9/10 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
What diesel engine....

... for a motorbike.

OK, I was quite keen to get an electric golf cart o the road, then I heard about charging an electric vehicle up (can't remember which) was like having the kettle on for 27 hours. Yeah right.

So it's back to the possible diesel bike project.

Three possible, but slight variations to the same end.

First is buy an old 125, remove engine and stick in a cheap chinese 4 stroke diesel of 7 or so hp. Quick easy and cheap.

Second, get something like and Enfield India, stiffen frame and chuck in something like a Peugeot 106 1.5 n/a diesel. Again fairly straightforward, but slightly more expensive.

Final option would be, buy something like a K100 bmw, bin the engine and chuck in something along the lines of the 1.4 Ford/Mazda tdci//peueot/citroen 1.4 hdi, which could be tweaked to produce 70+ bhp, and a stack of torque. Fairly straightforward, though may have to pay someone for some engineering. Will have to modify frame.

So, what other engine options can you think of for the last two suggestions.

Cheers

ATB

Simon

Benzine

posted on 17/9/10 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I love diesel bikes I'd go with the clone generator option

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dinosaurjuice

posted on 17/9/10 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
vw 1.4 tdi only has 3 cylinders and has fairly sinple wiring. my choice would be 1.4 hdi from a C3 - 90hp.
l0rd

posted on 17/9/10 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
go for a v8 diesel engine

You know you want it

Simon

posted on 17/9/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I like the idea of the V8 diesel, but, and they are fairly big buts - either a modern Jag/RR costs a packet of an old GM V8, weighs, well, it'd put a Pinto to shame

I thought about the 3 cyl VW lump, but have yet to find one anywhere.

Another option from the diesel bike forum is the 800cdi from a smart car, but again, I'm thinking price. All have budgets, I'm afraid, and the last on the list would need tightest control

Suppose I could scratcbuild - anyone passed a motorcycle/iva ?

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 17/9/10 by Simon]

whitestu

posted on 17/9/10 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Why?? A small bike needs a small 4 stroke petrol engine that revs its balls off, or a nice smelly 2 stroke.

Stu

MikeRJ

posted on 17/9/10 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
Why?? A small bike needs a small 4 stroke petrol engine that revs its balls off, or a nice smelly 2 stroke.

Agreed, as daft as a diesel '7'.

If you want economy (and I can see no other reason for a diesel) then traditional bikes are not the ideal starting point since they have terrible aerodynamics.

Simon

posted on 17/9/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
Why?? Stu

For the same reason that we are all on this very forum.

Because I can

ATB

Simon

franky

posted on 17/9/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
None at all the sudden torque curve, weight of the engine, lack of revs...... why on earth!? I think there is a derv bike and some French company made one to try the Paris-dakar and decided it wasn't worth it as petrol bikes can do mega MPG without all the above problems.
snapper

posted on 17/9/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
TheMOD are using diesel bikes, reliable, powerful, one fuel in the combat arena.
Diesel in a 7? Audi won LeMans with a Diesel, Seat won BTCC in a Diesel.
I like this forum for it's "Because I can" attitude.
Go for it mate, there are novae ideas, just bad executions of said ideas

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

dlatch

posted on 17/9/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
would not enjoy the power delivery of a diesel on a bike myself

but good luck with the project

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dilley

posted on 17/9/10 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
what about the gearbox?
l0rd

posted on 17/9/10 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dilley
what about the gearbox?

straight from the crankshaft

BenB

posted on 17/9/10 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
TheMOD are using diesel bikes, reliable, powerful, one fuel in the combat arena.
Diesel in a 7? Audi won LeMans with a Diesel, Seat won BTCC in a Diesel.
I like this forum for it's "Because I can" attitude.
Go for it mate, there are novae ideas, just bad executions of said ideas

It's true Seat won with a diesel but it was far from a level playing field!!! They were in a different class!

Simon

posted on 17/9/10 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
None at all the sudden torque curve, weight of the engine, lack of revs...... why on earth!? I think there is a derv bike and some French company made one to try the Paris-dakar and decided it wasn't worth it as petrol bikes can do mega MPG without all the above problems.

So an electric bike with 100% torque at no revs wouldn't work then!

There are dozens of diesel bikes - look on the net, so it can't be that pointless.

My 'busa did 72mpg at 40 mph. One of the bike mags thrashed an R1 from a standing start - it managed 18mpg for 18 minutes (and did 54 miles, at 180 mph). Big deal, been there, done that and now I'm not aiming to break records. I had a 'busa for 5 years and don't feel the need to go down that route again (despite the fun).

Torque can moderated through a) the throttle, b) taller gearing.

Taller gearing means that instead of doing 10000rpm and changing up, you do it at 4500 etc etc. This also deals with your lack of revs issue (remember, my toy car uses a V8, so I'm rather fond of a lack of revs, they just irritate people).

Weight of engine, well, if I go for plan c) and dismantle a K series bmw, what'll the weight penalty over it's engine with say a 1.4 hdi lump be. 20 - 30 kgs. Cool, I could lose that on a diet!

For a gearbox, if I go bubget route you can modify a 2 stroke's gearbox, mid range, similar idea, but use an old british box or something like an Ultima box (used to modernise Harley's), and for the bmw, well, it has a car like box so an adaptor etc is all that's required. bm route most difficullt to change gearing as it's shaft drive

Anyway, like the original post was about, any more engine suggestions?

Cheers

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 17/9/10 by Simon]

Benzine

posted on 18/9/10 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
2 cylinder diesel from an Aixam?

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

Surrey Dave

posted on 18/9/10 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
I Dream Of A Diesel 7

quote:

Agreed, as daft as a diesel '7'.

I think a modern little turbo diesel would be fab in a 7, I often think about the Citroen 1.4 hdi.

NS Dev

posted on 18/9/10 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
haven't read all the posts, but Ruggerini make some nice small diesels, not powerful but dead reliable and air cooled. Look for them in generator welder sets

[Edited on 18/9/10 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 18/9/10 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
here ya go, £150 on ebay ruggerini engine

19hp twin pot

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.