Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cracked alloy
Worzey

posted on 10/11/10 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Cracked alloy

Jumped in my Audi A5 early this morning after loading it up with stack loads of kit for an exhibition in only to discover I had a front puncture as I drove off the drive.

Had to jump in SWMBO's car and transfer all the kit while she took the wheel to Kwikfit for a quick puncture repair as I'm due a 400 mile trip tomorrow and really need my car.

Turns out the inside of the alloy wheel has cracked!!!!! It's only 2 years old.

So I'm now £740 lighter having had to fork out for a new wheel and tyre which won't be fitted until tomorrow as they are both special order items from Audi and Bridgestone. Looks like I'll have my missus car again tomorrow (which isn't such a bad thing).

I know BMW have had alloy cracking issues. Any known issues with Audi A5's? Is this something I might be able to claim under warranty?

Caterham R400

Mark Allanson

posted on 10/11/10 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't have thought warranty would be interested, but Audi customer care can be a good start. As long as the rim has no signs of external injury, I would say you have a good case.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

scootz

posted on 10/11/10 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
TBH, I would have had the car taken directly to the dealership for them to sort out.

It would have been fixed just as quick, you might even have got a courtesy car whilst it was being done, and the warranty aspect would be far more straightforward.

It's Evolution Baby!

adithorp

posted on 10/11/10 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen something before about Audi alloys splitting. Might have been Watchdog. Audi originally claimed they must have been curbed or damaged some other way but I think they replaced when faced with lots of claims.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

pewe

posted on 10/11/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
After the slating Kwikfit had on Watchdog I'd ask them to retain the rim for you to warranty claim and don't take No for an answer.

Last time I took a puncture in to them they told me they couldn't repair it as it was too close to the shoulder.
They wanted £95 for a replacement tyre - same as I'd recently bought for £65.
I had them re-mount the tyre and next day took it off to the local tyre fitter who specifically assured me it was 100% repairable!
They really are thieving barstewards.

Cheers, Pewe

Worzey

posted on 10/11/10 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
I agree that taking it direct to Audi might have been a good idea but my wife was trying to sort it out on my behalf while I was presenting at a conference and expected a £10 puncture repair.

Once the car was at Kwikfit it made sense to leave it with them for the full repair on the assumption Audi labour rates are so expensive. I will be keeping the rim and taking it to Audi to see what they can do.

The crack is very obvious, my wife was shown the damage. At least I get to drive her Lexus for another day.

Caterham R400

mistergrumpy

posted on 11/11/10 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
Wierdly enough a lad at work texted me on Monday asking if I could weld his alloy on his GT3000 as he had taken it to Kwik Fit for a puncture and it turned out it was cracked.
adithorp

posted on 11/11/10 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Worzey
I agree that taking it direct to Audi might have been a good idea but my wife was trying to sort it out on my behalf while I was presenting at a conference and expected a £10 puncture repair.

Once the car was at Kwikfit it made sense to leave it with them for the full repair on the assumption Audi labour rates are so expensive. I will be keeping the rim and taking it to Audi to see what they can do.

The crack is very obvious, my wife was shown the damage. At least I get to drive her Lexus for another day.

How much was the wheel and what was the tyre? £740 for a wheel and tyre sounds a lot to me and there's sod all labour to charge on fitting a tyre to a rim and fitting that to the car. It's less work than fixing the puncture.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Worzey

posted on 12/11/10 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
The wheel was £525 inc VAT, the Tyre was £210 for a Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 245-40-18. That's a good price for the tyre!!! Total was £735 all in.

I've spoken with Audi and sent them pictures of the cracked wheel. Seeing if I can make a Warranty claim now.

Caterham R400

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.