Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Problem with a Megane
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 12/11/10 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Problem with a Megane

My mates car (55 plate Megane 1.6 petrol) has a problem

Fault code is "random multi cylinder misfire" which to me indicates coil pack failure?!

It seem however whe looking prices, that this engine has 4 individual cylinder coil packs.
What could be causing a random misfire then? Any ideas

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

big-vee-twin

posted on 12/11/10 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I have had a megane R26 just got rid last month, I can almost guarantee it is a pencil coil that has failed.

The Renaults are notoriuos for coil pack failure, mine actually had two fail at the same time!

I got replacements from ebay much cheaper than the £90 each from Renault.

It is a straight forward job, you can tell easily after you have run the engine the coil thats not working is much cooler than the rest or the trick I used was an old spark plug in the end of a coil with all four plugs still in the engine turn over and look for a spark.

I took mine to renault and they had it a day and couldnt find the fault, I found it in 20 mins with the old spark plug, the plug and change moneys at the stealers are useless if the computer syas no.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

jossey

posted on 12/11/10 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
its a renault?

oh sorry another problem???

:O)

dave

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
l0rd

posted on 12/11/10 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
its a renault?

oh sorry another problem???

:O)

dave

It's a car. It doesn't mater what brand it is.

Don't tell me that ford or Jaguar never had broblems.

Knock on wood, the only fault i had with my Laguna was the heater resistor pack. 80p for a replacement thermal fuse and a bit of soldering and was as good as new.

fesycresy

posted on 12/11/10 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Renault pencil coils are made of chocolate. Motor factors sell them for £25 max a pop and guaranteed they'll have them in stock.

Just run the motor and disconnect the coil, with the knackered one the engine note won't change. Bet you more than one has failed though!

You'll see on the plastic packet 'warranty void once opened'. Stops people returning them after the next one has failed in 6 months.

Make sure you don't drive the car, a quick way of killing the cat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

MikeRJ

posted on 12/11/10 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
It's a car. It doesn't mater what brand it is.

Don't tell me that ford or Jaguar never had broblems.

True to an extent, but Renault do tend to suffer from faults like this more that most.

prawnabie

posted on 12/11/10 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
The main problem Renault had with the coils was the fact the people bought cheap coils from motor factors. The BERU or SAGEM coils the Renault used to sell and the motorfactors still sell are not reliable at all.

Renault now sell Valeo coils which seem to have cured the problem to the extent that we now only sell 5-10 a month as opposed to 40+ a month compare to 2 years ago. (we sell to the factors too) make sure whoever you buy them off that they have a brown top and have VALEO on the coil.

P.S the coils have never been £90 each, they are currently £50.81 inc vat, but i can do them half of this price if you PM me.

Cheers

Shaun

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 12/11/10 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the help going to do some investigations ove rthe week end

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

big-vee-twin

posted on 12/11/10 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
My Fault I bought 2 didn't I - Can't do sums LOL

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

prawnabie

posted on 12/11/10 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Best way to test liam is just to pull the coils one by one off the plugs with the engine running until you find the culprit, sometimes you can see the sprk arcing though the rubber insulation to the head on the faulty one(s). Official Renault way is to disconnect the injectors one by one which gives the same results.

I would be tempted to just replace all four for the brown top Valeo items though to save having the car back sooner or later.

Shaun

Peteff

posted on 12/11/10 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy
Renault pencil coils are made of chocolate. Motor factors sell them for £25 max a pop and guaranteed they'll have them in stock.

Friend of mine had the same problem with his coils in a Volkswagen Golf V5, it's not a Renault specific problem. 3 failed one after the other in a matter of months. The Golf ones are £35 each.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

l0rd

posted on 12/11/10 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
My brother's seat leon 1.8t had to replace 3 in under a year.

In less than 2 years of my ownership of my laguna 2000 year and 35K miles and i never had any issues with the coils. (knock on wood)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.