Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: F1 champion is...........
James

posted on 14/11/10 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
Ah, the Alonso haters are in full flow I see...

Firstly, well done to Red Bull who clearly had the fastest car all year long. It's a shame McLaren couldn't challenge them a bit more than they did even with the two most recent WDC's at their disposal. Must be disappointing for a team with probably the best technical resource in the paddock.

<snip>

Vettel has done a great job in terms of pure speed but in my opinion Mark deserved the WDC more and I feel really sorry for him. It would be nice to see a driver overcoming obvious team prejudice for a change. I used to like Vettel but I've completely gone off him this year due to some of his antics and arrogance. Unlike those blinded by hatred for Alonso though, I still have respect for him as a drivers which is what should be important in F1 racing. This isn't a popularity contest and 'nice guys' often come last! Hamilton is regaining some of my respect as he is maturing and perhaps Vettel will too in time. The only thing which is bugging me these days with Hamilton is his incessant whining about his tyres. He is clearly spending too much time with Button! He should just shut up and get on and drive the car in my opinion. He is also very quick to blame his car or his team unlike Alonso who refused to blame Ferrari at the end of this race even though EJ and DC seemed to think it was a clear strategy failure from Ferrari. See http://planet-f1.com/news/3213/6506804/Alonso-Refuses-To-Blame-Ferrari

<snip>

One final thing which I've said before. Do we really want emotionless automatons in F1 or do we want people to get upset and throw tantrums or helmets? Do we not want rivalries between drivers a la Prost/Senna? Do we not want to see drivers physically exhausted and crying on the podium? Do we not want straight talking aussie's telling it like it is? Personally, I want this sort of drama and people like Alonso who have something called "a personality" make F1 interesting. Long may it continue!

Looking forward to next year already!

[Edited on 14/11/2010 by craig1410]

An excellently argued post and I'm in full agreement in many ways.

It is a shame Mclaren werent a bit faster this (and other!) years when they have such massive resources (although I believe their budget is about the same as Ferrari's. It used to be Toyota (or was it Honda?) followed by Ferrari then Mclaren with the biggest budgets IIRC.
It *is* weird that Mclaren can continually be 'almost there' but never quite getting that last 1% or 2% that's needed to finish it off, get the job done and get the win. It's something I've said for years about British (or English) sport in general. We just don't quite have the killer instinct/spirit needed to win. We're always very good, and end up very close... but never quite manage it. Whether this is caused by our 'put down the winner' mentality I don't know.

It would have been nice to see Webber win, especially against team prejudice, and I wanted him to, but would it have been right to class him as the 'best driver of 2010'? I don't know. He's really not in the 3 top drivers is he! Just cos he's a nice bloke, does that mean he should be WDC? I don't know!

Gotta agree, I've been surprised by Hamilton complaining about the car... he did it less last year when in a much worse car IIRC... shame really!

Agreed! We don't want emotionless automatons!!! A bit of spirit would be great. I'd happily watch them ramming into each others cars and maybe beating the crap out of each other after/during/before a race- would be wicked! More drama the better! Seeing a James Hunt type rolling up the to race, sweating vodka and with a bird or 2 on each arm would be brilliant... but sadly those days are gone as someone like that just isn't going to win many races. The professional is far more likely to get a drive as they can be relied upon by the team! Shame really!

Only 16 weeks will 2011 season starts... and 20 races for 2011 as well! I'm sure it'll be 20x 1-2 for Mclaren with Lewis taking the WDC at the last race!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

craig1410

posted on 14/11/10 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi James,

Thanks for your kind words - it doesn't surprise me that we agree on many aspects of F1 because I think we are F1 fans in the true sense and both recognise that although drivers come and go and teams rise an fall, F1 keep going, and changing.

It's interesting to hear your comments on McLaren not quite rising to meet the promise of their potential and your comments about British sportsmen perhaps not having the same spirit as other nations. I agree with this completely and actually I think this was also a considerable factor behind Alonso not gelling within McLaren. We have seen some insight into the McLaren technology centre with David Coulthard and Jenson Button and I have to say, it looks like a completely soul-less place! It is very shiny and impressive in one sense but it lacks any sense of history or passion. It is too clinical in my view.

Contrast this with Maranello where history and passion oozes from every corner of the factory. I think that being an emotional spaniard with latin temperament, Alonso will feel far more at home in Ferrari than he ever would in McLaren. I think that even on a bad day when tempers are raised, the Italians in Ferrari will be better equipped to understand and handle the emotions of Alonso when they need to. I don't think that Ron Dennis was so well equipped to handle this with his almost OCD approach to team management and this was probably the catalyst for the split.

Next year will be fascinating with the adjustable rear wings and KERS back in play. I just wish they would bring back refuelling too to make the races more interesting. Hopefully the rear wing and KERS will permit overtaking but if not then races like Abu Dhabi will be as frustrating as they we saw today. Regardless of the result I felt that the race today was an anti-climax. I wanted to see Hamilton fighting Vettel and Alonso fighting Webber. I didn't want to see mid-field runners getting in the way like they did. Of course those who don't fully understand F1 will say that Hamilton and Alonso should have found a way past if they are so good but as you know, this is far from easy on a track like Abu Dhabi with the current cars. Clearly if Hamilton and Alonso can't overtake a Renault when the WDC is directly at stake then I think we can safely assume that it is simply not possible. From my own experience, it's hard enough to overtake cleanly on a go-kart track with no aero issues to deal with!

Volvorsport

posted on 14/11/10 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
a boring race......

i have to say it would have been much better , if all the pratoganists were racing each other and not stuck behind mid table cars .

i can sympathise with alonso getting frustrated stuck behind petrov , and lewis behind kubica , deprived us all of some real pressure being applied up front .

cant say im fussed with vettel winning , hes made mistakes like everybody else this season , i suppose if webber didnt bin it in korea hed probably be world champion .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

ahunt

posted on 14/11/10 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Also Alonso wouldnt of been so close if he didnt have "team orders" in germany. A great season all in all though looking foward to the next. Doing silverstone and driving to SPA next year in the old MGB Should be good!

Car 90% complete!!!

norfolkluego

posted on 14/11/10 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Got to give it to you Craig you're certainly consistent in supporting your man.
Didn't like Alonso's arm waving at Petrov no matter what his frustration, Ferrari messed up today that's not Petrov's fault or problem, lacked a bit of class IMO. It's a shame in many ways that he rubs so many people up the wrong way because not many people question his ability, he has dragged that Ferrari into contention when probably it wasn't good enough this year but he won't have won over anybody with that arm waving stuff today.
Like many I would have liked to see Webber win the title today but to be honest he's probably no better than 6th best, certainly behind Alonso, Hamilton Kubica, Button, probably Sutil, so maybe I wanted the 6th best driver to win the WDC?
Did the right bloke win, probably (just), would he have been my choice, no not really although he did seem to be genuinely emotional when he realised he'd done it, that's good in my book.

[Edited on 14/11/10 by norfolkluego]

craig1410

posted on 15/11/10 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego
Got to give it to you Craig you're certainly consistent in supporting your man.
Didn't like Alonso's arm waving at Petrov no matter what his frustration, Ferrari messed up today that's not Petrov's fault or problem, lacked a bit of class IMO. It's a shame in many ways that he rubs so many people up the wrong way because not many people question his ability, he has dragged that Ferrari into contention when probably it wasn't good enough this year but he won't have won over anybody with that arm waving stuff today.
Like many I would have liked to see Webber win the title today but to be honest he's probably no better than 6th best, certainly behind Alonso, Hamilton Kubica, Button, probably Sutil, so maybe I wanted the 6th best driver to win the WDC?
Did the right bloke win, probably (just), would he have been my choice, no not really although he did seem to be genuinely emotional when he realised he'd done it, that's good in my book.

[Edited on 14/11/10 by norfolkluego]

Thanks mate, I've supported him every since his first stint at Renault and stuck with him through thick and thin.

I get a bit of stick about supporting him but I'm not about to let that bother me! I suppose he reminds me a bit of myself in many ways and I think, if I had had the opportunity to be a racing driver, I would be very much like him. I also sometimes rub certain types of people up the wrong way and yet I get on really well with other types of people. I'm very much an independent "individual" and get on very well with other "individuals" but don't tend to get on so well with people who are part of a group or clique. I'm also fiercely competitive and will virtually kill myself trying to win at any sport I take part in (mainly Squash, Tennis, Racketball, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Karting). I also have difficulty shutting my mouth when someone says something that I disagree with... Maybe you guys have noticed!!

Anyway, I think we should respect all the F1 drivers. They have worked hard to get where they are today and their personality was a big part of the ingredients which got them there. They operate in a high pressure environment and are under the spotlight most of the time which tends to highlight the worst in them without recognising the best in them. If any one of us 'normal folk' were put under the same spotlight I suspect we would come in for much greater criticism than the likes of Alonso or Hamilton.

There's always room for respect, even amongst mortal enemies!

RK

posted on 15/11/10 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
They are all whiny brats who want to win. It is remarkable that they appear as likeable as they do sometimes, with all the attention they get. I thought it was a great race, with more possible outcomes than any in recent memory.

I still think Alonso is the best pure racing driver out there, but he didn't put enough points up to win. We don't have to like him as a public personality to see that.

norfolkluego

posted on 15/11/10 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
They are all whiny brats who want to win. It is remarkable that they appear as likeable as they do sometimes, with all the attention they get. I thought it was a great race, with more possible outcomes than any in recent memory.

I still think Alonso is the best pure racing driver out there but he didn't put enough points up to win. We don't have to like him as a public personality to see that.

Nearly agree with that, Hamilton and Alonso, both pure racers (as is Webber IMO, the other two are just better at it), , probably already cost both of them world champiomships, In my opinion, put everybody in the same car and they're head and shoulders above the rest, can't resist an overtake.
Stick 'em in the same team, ooh hang on a bit

[Edited on 15/11/10 by norfolkluego]

bmseven

posted on 15/11/10 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Boring F1 circus

Give me WRC or Moto GP anyday

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.