Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Modded retro cars
franky

posted on 14/11/10 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Modded retro cars

I saw a really nice Triumph gt6 today, then about 5 minutes later a local farmer offered me one that needs a full rebuild for beer money. I've declined as i've got too much on at the minute.

However it got me thinking, as i've a spare 3.2 m3 engine/box in my garage. A re-engineered GT6 with a 3.2 m3 engine(keeping IL6 theme) with as modern running gear as possible. Am I alone in thinking this is a great idea?

What would you like to build?

StevieB

posted on 14/11/10 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's a great idea. Go back and get the car!

I got a 1963 mk1 midget for pennies, that had all the rusty work already done. I'm currently deliberating between a bike or car engine - R1 or Zetec/Duratec.

Difficult one as I reckon a bike engine will go in nicely and it'll probably be lighter than my R1 Indy was, so pretty rapid too.

That said, Duratec will be no slouch and will be better for road touring.

M3 in a GT6 would be perfect

Strontium Dog

posted on 14/11/10 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, if you're not really interested then I might be for a restoration project. How bad is it and how much would the chap take for it? If you PM me your no. I can give you a bell about it!

Cheers Si.

r1_pete

posted on 14/11/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
My last project was an MGB with a 1.8 Zetec, MT75 box and bike carbs, modded suspension, vented didcs etc......

Made a brilliant car, but the top rail on the windscreen was right in my line of vision, so I sold it.

Some pics in my archive.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 14/11/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Love the GT6... helluva lot of engineering required if you want to run an M3 lump AND make that handle though!

I really fancy stripping a MK1 MR2 right back to its bare shell and rebuilding with a new Toyota engine.

It's Evolution Baby!

T66

posted on 14/11/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
I read an article not too long ago, guy did a Nissan 200sx engine into a GT6.

franky

posted on 14/11/10 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strontium Dog
Hi, if you're not really interested then I might be for a restoration project. How bad is it and how much would the chap take for it? If you PM me your no. I can give you a bell about it!

Cheers Si.

Under normal circumstances I would do however its not moved for years so I know when i've got the space/time it'll still be there

jacko

posted on 14/11/10 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
On Retro riders there is a bloke making a nice job of a gt6
I cant get a link to work to show you
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
franky

posted on 14/11/10 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a look, that looks nice!

I guess the only way to do it would be to build a ladder type chassis onto the original one to enable modern suspension to be fitted?

tegwin

posted on 14/11/10 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
I reallly wanted to put an M3 engine into that '72 TVR I had.. would have been quite amusing.... You can NEVER EVER have too many projects on the go!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr G

posted on 15/11/10 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
Ideal donor for a dutton

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

Pezza

posted on 15/11/10 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Great idea

My 74 Manta is running a redtop engine atm, and uprated brakes, suspenshion etc.
As soon as the Indy is finished it's being treated to a 2.3 saab turbo lump and all new running gear

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 15/11/10 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Love the GT6... helluva lot of engineering required if you want to run an M3 lump AND make that handle though!

I really fancy stripping a MK1 MR2 right back to its bare shell and rebuilding with a new Toyota engine.

I've got a 1989 mk1 MR2 myself and am in the process of upgrading suspension and brakes to cope with an engine upgrade. So far I have fitted Celica GT4 turbo front brakes and MR2 mk2 turbo rear brakes. I have got a full set of poly bushes ready for fitting over xmas and have just bought a set of spare rear struts ready for converting to Koni shocks and Ground Control coilover sleeves

link

I'll then be restoring / respraying the bodywork and dropping in a 3L v6 lump (and yes it does fit) from a Toyota Camry. Lexus 3.5L V6 is also an option (just more expensive)!!!

scootz

posted on 15/11/10 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
quote:

I've got a 1989 mk1 MR2 myself and am in the process of upgrading suspension and brakes to cope with an engine upgrade. So far I have fitted Celica GT4 turbo front brakes and MR2 mk2 turbo rear brakes. I have got a full set of poly bushes ready for fitting over xmas and have just bought a set of spare rear struts ready for converting to Koni shocks and Ground Control coilover sleeves

link

I'll then be restoring / respraying the bodywork and dropping in a 3L v6 lump (and yes it does fit) from a Toyota Camry. Lexus 3.5L V6 is also an option (just more expensive)!!!

Any idea how strong the chassis is on the MK1 Paul? I know it handled sweetly out of the box, but the torque figures of the original engines were pretty low. Just wondering how it will cope with the bigger lumps.

It's Evolution Baby!

locogeoff

posted on 15/11/10 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Scootz

A good site you may wish to have a skek about is TwoBrutal if you're even thinking about modding MR2s. It used to be fantastic but something happened and it's not the place it used to be.

Regards

Geoff

scootz

posted on 15/11/10 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Geoff!

It's Evolution Baby!

Paul TigerB6

posted on 15/11/10 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
quote:

link

Any idea how strong the chassis is on the MK1 Paul? I know it handled sweetly out of the box, but the torque figures of the original engines were pretty low. Just wondering how it will cope with the bigger lumps.

I've not heard of any issues other than broken front torque mounts on these conversions (even with a 270bhp Lexus 3.5L v6 - the engine is right behind the passenger compartment so plenty of fairly sturdy structures to bolt to. What does need doing is cutting out a section between engine bay and rear boot to give clearance for the engine (only about 2" protrusion) and to change the rear bank of plugs. This section then generally receives a bit of strengthening to compensate, plus a strut bar across the top of the engine to add some stiffness to the area.

I'm on TwoBrutal myself (and IMOC). Woodsport is the place to go for these conversions but being a LocostBuilder, i'll do the job myself. Paul Woods from Woodsport gives loads of free advice regardless via the forums.

http://www.woodsport.org/joomla/index.php/past-projects.html

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.