Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OK, so what's the scam
russbost

posted on 3/3/23 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
OK, so what's the scam

I recently offered my daughter's i10 on here, hoping it might do someone a good turn link great little car

It's is now for sale on Gumtree & someone has contacted me saying they want to send me a cheque for the car & accept that they obviously won't be able to collect it until such time as the cheque has cleared.

It clearly stinks, but what's the scam, they've asked for the address to send the cheque too, but how does that help them if the car's not going to be released until cleared funds are in my a/c, I'm just not seeing how they can make this work as a scam, but find it highly unlikely anyone would send a cheque to someone they've never met & know nothing about on a private sale that they have no recourse against?

Only way I can see this working is if they steal a cheque & it gets cleared, they then collect the car with a false ID & they have a car (not exactly an expensive one!) that someone else has paid for, but if the money is in my a/c would the cheque owner then have any recourse??

All seems a bit bizarre, particularly for a £2500 car

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
westf27

posted on 3/3/23 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Safer for you if they do a bank transfer,that will flush them out.

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/3/23 at 05:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by westf27
Safer for you if they do a bank transfer,that will flush them out.

dito bank transfer or nothing

Scammers know all the loop holes. Your the one with the car so its your rules not theirs.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.