Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Two stroke exhaust assembly
tegwin

posted on 29/3/23 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Two stroke exhaust assembly

So I have an Italian two stroke engine and I’m curious how the exhaust is supposed to be assembled.

If you look at this diagram you can see an adaptor bolted to the exhaust port on the engine, the exhaust slides into the adapter and is held in place by a pair of springs.

Is there supposed to be some kind of sealant in the slip joint? I need to strip it down and replace the springs and I’d like to stop the oily weeping from the joint…. What’s did they intend the joint to be filled with?

Description
Description

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

obfripper

posted on 29/3/23 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a graphite sealing ring/sleeve inside the bolted on flange adaptor?

It's not shown on the diagram, but I'm sure that is the normal way of sealing that type of joint.

Dave

tegwin

posted on 29/3/23 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
That would make sense. I don’t think there is though. Perhaps there was originally but the last time I changed the springs there was nothing in there.

May have been an integral part of the exhaust flange?!

It’s a pretty obscure engine and hit and miss if you can get the parts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

ReMan

posted on 29/3/23 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'd expect no seal, though I used to just dob some silicone on them until they coked up and sealed themselves!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/3/23 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure why you'd bother sealing it anyway as it's in the open so who cares if some of it leaks past. Chances are the springs will keep it closed enough.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.