Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sound deadening material
Mr Whippy

posted on 17/4/23 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sound deadening material

Hi,

I'm wanting to add sound deadening material to the ancient car as it basically doesn't have any and so is very loud inside. It's design is a bit odd too in that the front floor and firewall is made of a collection of removable steel panels (for working and removing the gearbox), while the floor under the seats is thick plywood directly bolted to the chassis.

I was going to get thick felt and cover everything however I keep seeing these more modern stuck on foams and foil backed stuff and am wondering if that would be an better option or at least to put that under a thinner layer of felt. Any views on what would be the best option or how effective the foam stuff is in relation to the normal 1/2 inch felt? Budget isn't infinite so also looking at good value for money option.

One of the things that appeals with the foam is that it looks like I can double or even triple it up over particularly noise areas like the gearbox while still having it in sections to allow the removal of the floor panels.

ta

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 17/4/23 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
I'm interested also, but I've yet to get past the endless hype descriptions and DIY users who just throw it everywhere. There seems to be two primary types - high density bitumen based, and low density. I can imagine the use cases for each, but I suspect I'm missing some knowledge required to make best use of it.

I have a 370Z - the rear end of it is so loud from road noise that I'm planning to whap some of the high density stuff around the rear towers and in any of large open spans which may self-excite.

tegwin

posted on 17/4/23 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
The defender and van I have modified both ended up with a healthy dose of Dynamat. Self adhesive and very dense!! Did a really good job of stopping panels from resonating.

they have different products for different applications - I used the dense stuff that looks a bit like old school roofing tar sheets (but doesnt melt like tar does!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/4/23 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers, I forgot to mention although I'm sure the high density stuff is really effective, I am working with a tiny amount of engine power lol so loading up the car with lots of weight isn't really ideal. Really happy with the condition of the floor though, it's just spotless!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 18/4/23 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
I used a mix of camping mat under carpet and Yoga mat under vinyl mit aged layers of heat mat where appropriate

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

James

posted on 18/4/23 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Cheers, I forgot to mention although I'm sure the high density stuff is really effective, I am working with a tiny amount of engine power lol so loading up the car with lots of weight isn't really ideal. Really happy with the condition of the floor though, it's just spotless!

Ear defenders would be very light weight.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/4/23 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Ear defenders would be very light weight.

Foam ear plugs even better

pewe

posted on 18/4/23 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Wooleys Trim offer foil backed sound deadening /heat resistant - not expensive either IIRC
nick205

posted on 18/4/23 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Wooleys Trim offer foil backed sound deadening /heat resistant - not expensive either IIRC

Seen this in the past. Imagine a bit of this placed in the middle of each larger metal body panel would stop the panel from ringing/drumming and cut down the noise when driving (probably wouldn't take much).

pewe

posted on 18/4/23 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by pewe

Seen this in the past. Imagine a bit of this placed in the middle of each larger metal body panel would stop the panel from ringing/drumming and cut down the noise when driving (probably wouldn't take much).

Correct, Nick. I used it in the hairdressers mainly to stop heat transfer through the boot floor, as even with a heat-shield underneath the floor inside the boot gets quite hot ,especially long runs on hot days, Same applies to the passenger foot-well.
It improves sound deadening as well.

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/4/23 at 03:50 AM Reply With Quote
Well here it is after a week of work. I actually did quite a few jobs on it in the process like cleaning a painting the floor which fortunately is in great condition. I bought sticky back foam off Ebay at £7 a roll, 10mm x 2m x .5m. Its the first time I've used this kind of product but I thought it was just great in every way. Apart from being very cheap, it went on really well sticking and conforming to all the weird shapes of this floor, plus it cuts easily with just scissors. In particular areas I've even tripled up the layers like over the gearbox and behind the engine.

I haven't fitted the carpet yet as I've actually painted the top black since the carpet doesn't even reach further up than the tops of the pedals so hopefully will get a shot later today, I'm expecting a huge difference though, especially considering all the open holes there were (normal) and the lack of sound proofing before. I would definitely recommend this over traditional felt which I've always used before.

Cheers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.