Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fixing a leaking sunroof
JoelP

posted on 1/5/23 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Fixing a leaking sunroof

Tintop sunroof leaks, and I'm looking for the easiest solution to stop it. I have no interest in opening it so thinking of taping it up. Tried duck tape but it doesn't last long in the sun. Is there a better tape, maybe even like what they make car wraps from, or should I just silicone it?

Any help appreciated.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

adithorp

posted on 1/5/23 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Most common cause of sun roof leaks are blocked drain pipes. Have you checked them.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

JoelP

posted on 1/5/23 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
One is not connected where its meant to come out, so it goes straight to the floor, and the other must be blocked cos it leaks from the top. I just don't want a sunroof at all. It seems the dumbest idea ever to put a hole in the roof that you just didn't need.

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/5/23 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
You don't say were it's leaks. I've found that if it isn't a blocked drain often it's the glass separating from the frame which sealant can solve but is hard to look nice. A long rod is usually enough to push out dirt from the pipes but it sounds like something might be disconnected on yours. It's going to be very hard to get a good amount of sealant round the whole edge, perhaps removing the felt channel round the glass could give gap you could fill if it has that. Looking back it was so common to get drips on your head or even if it didn't leak they'd be drops of water from condensation or even ice to defrost and drip on you later!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
perksy

posted on 2/5/23 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Butyl tape

We use it and it sticks like s**t to a blanket and is water proof and also tolerates UV

Silicon would look better though if you can get it to work

mark chandler

posted on 2/5/23 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
Butyl tape

We use it and it sticks like s**t to a blanket and is water proof and also tolerates UV

Silicon would look better though if you can get it to work

Brilliant stuff if you cannot see it, the sunroof in my tractor leaked, silicon was a complete failure so used silver flashing tape as above, not a drip afterwards.

JoelP

posted on 2/5/23 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Butyl tape sounds perfect thanks!

perksy

posted on 2/5/23 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Think Screwfix sell it, but only in a dark green colour?

Make sure you get it right first time as once it sticks, it sticks

We apply it with a wallpaper seam roller

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 3/5/23 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
I dealt with my leaky sunroof issues (corrosion around the aperture on my 1996 Mondeo) with a sheet of 1.2mm steel. I'd bought a pneumatic joddler to help with the wheelarch replacement on the Transhit, so it really was a rapid process to prepare the Mondeo roof properly, nice flush result with minimal distortion.
You could just lay a sheet over the top and lap joint it?

nick205

posted on 3/5/23 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
I dealt with my leaky sunroof issues (corrosion around the aperture on my 1996 Mondeo) with a sheet of 1.2mm steel. I'd bought a pneumatic joddler to help with the wheelarch replacement on the Transhit, so it really was a rapid process to prepare the Mondeo roof properly, nice flush result with minimal distortion.
You could just lay a sheet over the top and lap joint it?

When I read the question, this was my first thought - weld it up!

My 205 GTI OEM sunroof leaked (sliding glass, held in place by a vacuum seal). It was a blocked drain pipe that ran down the A pillar and out the front wheel arch. A PITA to get it unblocked, but very satisyfying when I did - it solved the issue. Compressed airline helped blow the pipe clear. Didn't want to go poking a welding rod down it for fear of damaging the rubber hose and making a worse leak.

JoelP - like you I had no desire for a sunroof and never even opened it. Just MASSIVELY ANNOYING to have it leaking.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.