Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which is best? tiger or robin hood
steve8274

posted on 22/3/10 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
which is best? tiger or robin hood

hi
i have been looking to purchase my first kit car and have narrowed it down to 2 within my budget.
which car is the better one between tiger (probably avon but not decided) or robin hood new car `the zero`
any help or advice appreciated
thanks
steve

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 22/3/10 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
whats your budget? you might get some other suggestions!?

Duncan Mould

posted on 22/3/10 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
It all depends on the skill level of yourself. I have friends who have built tigers in very little time and struggled with their hood. I built my Robin hood in under 5 months and enjoyed all of the imperfections and floors in its design. I would say that the tiger is a better kit to build but owning a robin hood. I would say the money is better off in the bank. speak to some people on here, but whichever one you have you will surely enjoy.
dhutch

posted on 22/3/10 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
MK indy?

I had a look at a fair few, of all, both kit and secodn hand, as o was on a tight budget, and ended up with prebuilt a 1991 Westfield narrowbody.

Horses for couses and strokes for fokes but at £3750 in a very much runing/trackable state with a 1900 cvh you really cant complain.

Proven chassis design and a fairly solid engine (famous last words) and the only thing ive really needed to spend money on having bought it was new rear dampers for the mot which if im honest with myself i knew about when i bought it.

I would have loved to built it, and may do in the future, but the money doesnt stack up for it really and as i didnt have the time it seemed the logical way to go. Ive certainly not regreated it.

Ive changed the seats, engine ignition, rebuild and rebushed the whole rear end, had a full rollbar made up and fitted that, all sorts of jobs/tinkering. But each time you finish one you can drive it for a few weeks before taking another bit to peices!

And it should be worth what i paid all day long any time i get bored.

Daniel

[Edited on 22/3/2010 by dhutch]

steve8274

posted on 22/3/10 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
my budget is rather low. hoping around £4500 (less would be better but im being realistic)
i know my way around a car and have done general servicing bits brakes etc but never built car before. i had read that tiger had issues with build quality (panels not matching etc) is this true? why would you say money better off in bank rather than a robin hood?
daniel - i would prefer to try and build one than have one already built. hopefully i wont regret those words but seems more fun

AndyW

posted on 22/3/10 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
i am very close to ordering a gbs zero kit. I will be going to the show in Detling in april to look at them one more time and then out comes the money!! Just depends on the day which way it goes.....

where are you based???

[Edited on 22/3/10 by AndyW]

mcerd1

posted on 22/3/10 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
the easiest way to keep the budget down is to find a well built car that already on the road - then change any bits your don't like

so I guess it depends on how much you really want to build it yourself ?

you've got the Detling and Stoneleigh shows coming up soon, so if I were you I'd try and get to at least one of them and have a good look round and a chat with some of the owners before deciding

[Edited on 22/3/10 by mcerd1]

-

britishtrident

posted on 22/3/10 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Neither are without flaws but Robin Hood have been the subject of a great many threads over the years none of which have raised my opinion of them.

As has already been suggested MK

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

steve8274

posted on 22/3/10 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
andyw- i went to gbs factory last month and was quite impressed. people seemed nice and cars looked good. my only downside was all the extras required on top of original price. this is probably exactly same for all kit cars in this price range but wasnt expecting price to jump from £2468 to £4500 and then still require other stuff further down line. by the way, based in wigan (northwest)
i understand that it will be cheaper to buy prebuilt car but i am going in for complete experience and hopefully come out other side with a nice car that i built (maynot have any money left to drive tho.)

snakebelly

posted on 22/3/10 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I am biased being an Avon owner but even so would choose an Avon against a robin hood every day of the week, better handling, better looking imho. The Robin Hood might be a simpler car to build and the Tiger is definately not a "Kit" that just bolts together but the sense of accomplishment is far higher. Just check when you order that the rear of the avon body has been fixed, the rear wheel arches used to be different widths side to side. any advice check out www.tigerownersclub.co.uk
eddie99

posted on 22/3/10 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Bit biased i guess. But i visited both Tiger and GBS for parts and really useful. You order bits and you get terrible customer service and its useless.
Think the GBS new car is better than the old robin hood but if i was you. Spend more money getting a Decent kit rather than getting a robin hood and spending to make it perfect. I guess its how particulate you are though.
Regards
Ed

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
joemotion

posted on 22/3/10 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
I would say tiger because i have one
stuart_g

posted on 22/3/10 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I would say tiger after owning a RH/GBS.

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

MikeLR

posted on 22/3/10 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
As you are not far from Chester, suggest you speak to Chester Sportscars. They have built masses of Tigers and have "worked" on Robin Hoods for customers.they will give you an honest opinion.
Mike

StevieB

posted on 22/3/10 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeLR
As you are not far from Chester, suggest you speak to Chester Sportscars. They have built masses of Tigers and have "worked" on Robin Hoods for customers.they will give you an honest opinion.
Mike

I seem to recall seeing an article in a recent kitcar mag that Tiger had shifted some of the entry level models on to another company - IIRC it may have been Chester Sportscars (can't quite remember though).

Hellfire

posted on 22/3/10 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
If I had to choose between the two, it would be the Tiger for me. I think the Avon is a great looking car.

Phil

Richard Quinn

posted on 22/3/10 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
It wasn't Chester Sportscars, it was somewhere down south IIRC. When you say Tiger, I guess you are on about the Avon? If you go to Chester Sportscars, Graham will try to convince you that a Cat (or versions thereof) are the way to go as he prefers them
steve8274

posted on 22/3/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for advice. i emailed chester sports cars today, and they say i need to go to tiger racing in wisbech. long way to travel for me.
the cars i am looking at at the moment are gbs (robin hood) zero or tiger avon
you appear to get more kit in tiger for roughly same cost. does this mean poorer quality.
i have also been looking on forums and there seems to be quite a good one for robin hood with plenty of advice and owners but not as much on tiger ones

nick205

posted on 22/3/10 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Don't rule out the Haynes Roadster. Plenty of people offering kits and parts a dedicated forum with lots of crossover on here.

I assume your £4k5 budget doesn't include IVA, reg, tax, insurance etc to get you on the road? Got to be looking at another £1k minimum.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 22/3/10 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Take a good look at this one ......a lot of cash has already been spent http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1581656.htm

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 22/3/10 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Even better
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1555904.htm

steve8274

posted on 22/3/10 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
looks very nice car and reasonably priced however i want a 7 style. second car looks better but still i want to build.
my budget is for car and not iva insurance etc. would think it be a while before i need them

Shandylegs

posted on 22/3/10 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
If you want the honest truth then take both main internet sites (ROCAR and Locostbuilders) with a pinch of salt:

Whereas the RH 2B in any variant is an absolute dog of a car (Quite happy to argue this point with any RH owner on either site), the zero will be no worse to build than any other se7en type clone, because it's basically the same design! -
In fact it probably eclispses the Avon as I believe the avon still uses all of the sierra sierra rear end.

As has been said before, if it's your first foray into kit cars and your budget is limited, take a look at something already built and on the road e.g. MK, Sylva striker and look to improve over time.

But if you do feel the need to build from new, go with the company you feel most comfortable with...............

britishtrident

posted on 23/3/10 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
Even better
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1555904.htm

Sensible to buy it and sell the engine for real money , and stick an xflo or any other 4 pot Ford or Rover K and still have cash in your pocket,

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

steve8274

posted on 24/3/10 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
but still i miss out on main build which for me at moment is the most exciting bit. give it a few months into build and i miay have changed my mind but for now, i definately want to build.
i am going to try and make it to stoneleigh show if i can get time of work. if not will go newark

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.