Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tin top dilemma
adithorp

posted on 2/3/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Tin top dilemma

I've been driving a Mazda 323 sport for the last couple of years. Nice little car with a 2lt engine and pretty sweet handling.

I'd been thinking it was a bit small now. The dog needs more space than just the boot and it's only just big enough for taking the Fury and kit to track days.

So with that in mind, I took a punt on a Megane Scenic RX4 on e-bay. Turns out to be a nice enough car, will pull the trailer fine and coped well with the winter weather... and the dog likes it.

Trouble is I'm not that convinced To me it just feels heavy, slugish and too soft on the suspension. I drove the Mazda again (not sold it yet) and I'm thinking that I much prefer it to the Renault.

So which should I keep?

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Hugh_

posted on 2/3/10 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
As both are compromised why not try and get something that's more of an alrounded, personally I'd buy something like this

gottabedone

posted on 3/3/10 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
either the dog or the kids might get a bit claustrophobic in the boot though
britishtrident

posted on 3/3/10 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
I would be more concerened with the fact Renault are not exactly renown for being trouble free. Also checkout the fuel consumption on the RX4 even the infamous DCi diesel is drinks fuel at an alarming rate.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Danozeman

posted on 3/3/10 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Trouble is I'm not that convinced To me it just feels heavy, slugish and too soft on the suspension. I drove the Mazda again (not sold it yet) and I'm thinking that I much prefer it to the Renault.

Thats because its a Renault. It will go wrong, especially the electrics.

Id sell both and get a mazda 6 sport estate or audi a4 avant.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

smart51

posted on 3/3/10 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
a Megane Scenic RX4

Oh dear! Tall hatch backs are generally worse than the normal car they're based on. Add more ground clearance and soft suspension for off roadness and you'll make it worse still. 4WD is lovely if you spend your time on muddy fields but on the road they just waste power and drink fuel. Surprisingly, Top Gear have the answer. Buy an estate car instead. Normal car behaviour and a boot big enough for a pet. I'm told the focus estate is a good one.

adithorp

posted on 3/3/10 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, yes, yes... I know and expect all the drawbacks of Renaults and I know and expect all the drawbacks of 4x4's. However the advantages, to me, do offset that. It's just that having lived with it for a couple of months, I just don't think I "LIKE IT" enough to put up with the drawbacks.
I do LIKE the Mazda though every time I drive it. More than it's limitations bother me.
I may however have come up with a solution. Sell the works van and transfer the Scenic to the vans role. ie, Collect parts and tow in cars occationally, but mainly sit in the yard doing nothing. It'd still be available when the weather was "wintery" and to go to track days as "tow car". Just the dog would have to get used to less space.

adrian

ps Why is it that if you ask a direct question on here some people answer a different one?

BenB

posted on 3/3/10 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
I would be more concerened with the fact Renault are not exactly renown for being trouble free. Also checkout the fuel consumption on the RX4 even the infamous DCi diesel is drinks fuel at an alarming rate.

Don't tell my car that. It's (Diesel megane II) got a 1.5dci in it and regularly does 50mpg in around-town driving (average speed <30mph FFS) and up to high 60s on a long run....

britishtrident

posted on 3/3/10 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
The 1.5 DCi is the most relatively trouble free of the Renault-Nissan Dci engines the bigger versions have this habit of self-destructing once the mileage is over 60,00 miles, even if the recommended oil change schedule and oil grades are adhered to few see 80,000 mile without being replaced. What happens is the turbo disintegrates and the various bit of shrapnel go via the intake manifold into the cylinders. This is why 2nd hand Renault Dci engines are fetching truly silly money at the breakers --- just look at the ebay prices if you don't belive me.
The key to Renault/Nissan DCi reliability is to use only 5w/30 fully synthetic engine oil and change the oil every 5,000 miles.

Also remember the RX4 is a 4x4 that implies quite hit on fuel consumption.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

adithorp

posted on 4/3/10 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
I got 30mpg on the motorway doing a steady **mph. It's been doing mid to high 20's arround town.
Nothing I wasn't expecting.

adrian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.