Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Forecourt Discounts
Hellfire

posted on 11/3/10 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Forecourt Discounts

I know this is very subjective but never having bought a vehicle from a garage forecourt, what sort of discounts would be available on say a £20K motor.

I'd imagine somewhere in the region of between 5% and 10% would be possible, with maybe more depending how keen they are to sell?

Are some months better than others for negotiating discounts?

Any special tips for negotiating discounts?

Any advice appreciated

Phil

flak monkey

posted on 11/3/10 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on the make and model more than anything TBH.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

mads

posted on 11/3/10 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
One point I have been told from 'people in the know' was to:

- look to buy towards end of month as they have a few days left to meet their sales targets for their bonuses

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

deanwelch

posted on 11/3/10 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
the best time is the day or day after new reg has come out as most dealers are like ghost towns as everyone wanted it the day the new reg came out........
mads

posted on 11/3/10 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Any special tips for negotiating discounts?

this maybe? Good old Dom... lol.

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

smart51

posted on 11/3/10 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
End of the quarter rather than end of the month. Go in to your dealer in say the 2nd week or March or the 2nd week in June. If they've yet to meet their target for the quarter and you agree to drive the car away before the end of the month, they may be willing to give you a discount in anticipation of meeting their sales target and getting a bonus from the manufacturer / importer.

tomprescott

posted on 11/3/10 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Day or two before new reg is better than a day after but not by much, generally it depends how lucky you are with the salesman, if they need to make sales they'll do everything in their power to get you to buy, but the bigger discounts require managements aproval!
twybrow

posted on 11/3/10 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deanwelch
the best time is the day or day after new reg has come out as most dealers are like ghost towns as everyone wanted it the day the new reg came out........

Two of my friends work in car sales (new and 2nd hand), and they are manically busy around the time of the new reg. In fact, it it written itno both of their contracts thay they are not allowed holiday around those times...

Is the car you are looking at new or 2nd hand? Is it a case of buying the actual car on the forecourt, or are you ordering something?

ken555

posted on 11/3/10 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
I try to buy between Xmas and New Year.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 11/3/10 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, should have pointed out it would be a 2nd hand vehicle bought from forecourt.

Phil

[Edited on 11-3-10 by Hellfire]

Agriv8

posted on 11/3/10 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
if it is new always play one main stealer against another (even better if they are not owned by the same parent company ).

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

morcus

posted on 11/3/10 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a car that isn't in fashion or a car that is off season (Convertible when its snowing) and there are big deals to be had. Keep an eye through autotrader and the papers on what they've had sitting around, I was intrested in a C3 Plurial that was at the dealership for at least 3 months and the price was alwys changing (Went up before they sold it as they were doing a minimum £1k p/x).

Be careful what you say to a dealer and go at the end of the month. If the sales cars race to greet you it means they need sales, if they don't, leave. Mention other cars and tell them you need to think, this will often get them to ask what they'd have to do to get you into the car today.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

progers

posted on 11/3/10 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
My Brother has just bought a BMW 320SE. Dealer gave him 5K off the pricelist, £500 more trade-in on his car than anyone else and threw in 5 years free servicing. I guess they were keen to sell....

- Paul

D Beddows

posted on 11/3/10 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Go in with a price you want to pay (best to be somewhat realistic there...) with no trade in, say it's a cash deal and you just want the car, no cheapo matts, service contract etc etc and see what they say..... if it's too much let the next muppet buy it and move on to the next garage

matt_gsxr

posted on 11/3/10 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
you can't get a great discount once they know you really want it, and they will know.

That is why having another car that you are looking at stops you "falling in love" and keeps them on their toes.

If the tax disk is nearly out then you are in luck, because they don't like re-taxing cars that are sitting their depreciating.

Matt

BenB

posted on 11/3/10 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I got a rather good price. Said I was viewing their car today and a private sale tommorow (which obviously was cheaper). Had a look at the car then kind of went all thoughtful and said it was tempting to go to the pub the next day instead of going to view the private sale but their car was quite a bit more than the (imaginary) private sale.

The price they had it advertised at was less than book and they gave me another 10% off.

Quality.

shame they didn't tell me it wasn't taxed so it got towed away the first day I left it outside my house (I spent an hour crawling over the car to make sure it was all ship-shape you would have thought I would have noticed the lack of tax disc!!)

Oh well.

David Jenkins

posted on 11/3/10 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mads

this maybe? Good old Dom... lol.

That's very useful - it all makes sense, when you look at it.

I'll be in the market shortly, but I regard used car salesmen in the same light as estate agents, IT contract agencies*, and so on.

* Anyone who's been a contractor and dealt with agencies will know what I mean!

morcus

posted on 12/3/10 at 03:18 AM Reply With Quote
Most used cars don't have tax on them on the forecourt, not here at least. In the last year and a half me and my dad bought 4 (Was almost 5)cars between us and trawled tons of Garages, and the only cars that came with Tax were the Clearance, sold as seen cars, and only if they had just come in. All the used car places in the area have signs up saying tax isn't included, though the higher level dealers did make you (Pretty much) buy tax through them at an added price. My Cousin (FIAT/Isuzu dealer) says any Tax is taken off and sent off for a refund straight away on trade ins.

Is it different in other parts of the country?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Ninehigh

posted on 14/3/10 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
Ah Dominic Littlewood, caused many a Dixons, Currys and PC world to lose a couple of hundred quid in a sale because the gawky shopkeep refused to budge from the advertised price. Mind you when we went for 2 laptops we did get bags, blank dvds and a couple of mice thrown in free.

I think they'll know us round here soon, we're the ones that ask for £x off, cash, now and walk out when they don't even try.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.