Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: motorbike brake disc material
boggle

posted on 29/3/10 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
motorbike brake disc material

i have been asked by someone to make some stainless brake discs for a trials bike..

does anyone know what spec stainless they are???

cheers

barry

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

blakep82

posted on 29/3/10 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
didn't think any brake discs are stainless?
brake discs normally rust after a day or 2 of not being used. don't know about mototrbikes right enough

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

richardlee237

posted on 29/3/10 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know about stainless brake discs, but some years ago we fitted a stainless steel seal seat to a ships propellor shaft seal. The wear part of the seal was a material very similar to tufnol.
The stainless seat "picked up" and particles of stainless were embedded in the rubbing face the subsequent metal to metal contact wore multiple deep narrow grooves in the seat and seal face.

So in my opinion stainless discs will not be very good. The usual reason for using cast iron is that the carbon helps to lubricate the disc without making it too slippery

Quote Lord Kelvin
“Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in race horses and women.”

Quote Richard Lee

"and cars"

ReMan

posted on 29/3/10 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Stainles steel, or what appears to be stainless steel is commonly used for motorcycle discs
Exactly what grade though?

boggle

posted on 29/3/10 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
the one i have to copy is deffo stainless...

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

balidey

posted on 29/3/10 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
We made some wavy s/s brake discs for our racing moped (oi, stop laughing at the back). For a trials bike, and the same for our moped, as the disc speed is comparativly low and the amount of use it will see, we could just use any old grade of stainless we could find. In this application the fact it won't rust up was our biggest advantage. If I was making a disc for a 150mph race bike then no way would we make one.
So IMHO in this application, grade is not really important.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

smart51

posted on 29/3/10 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
I've done a quick google on it but only found 1 reference. It was a patent on a rotor that had a skin of stainless steel on either side of an Aluminium core to make a light weight rotor. The patent suggested 304 or harder grade. Not too helpful to you but a nice idea.

Peteff

posted on 29/3/10 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Bike rotors are stainless which is why the pads are sintered brass. 420 stainless rotors with a 6061-T6 carrier is common. The centre is aluminium with a floating outer of stainless, never seen any with a skin of stainless over aluminium, I can't see how these would hold together.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

clairetoo

posted on 29/3/10 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
The last time I messed around with bike disc's , they were made from `stainless iron' rather than stainless steel - so they were magnetic , and had very good corrosion resistance .
Back it the 70's a lot of jap discs were indeed stainless steel - maybe why they just didnt work in the rain ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

boggle

posted on 29/3/10 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
could be that the rain doesnt like you on a bike ???

u2u me for details

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.