Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: recommend me a large ish diesel £2-£3k
will121

posted on 11/4/10 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
recommend me a large ish diesel £2-£3k

my Peogeot 306 diesel has now done 220k miles and due for a change. Im looking for a replacement Diesel (40mpg+) possible estate for about £2-£3k reasonable size as want to tow a car trailer minimum braked trailer 1300kg.
Ideas so far;

Mondeo
Laguna
vectra
even a volvo V70

any more, or recomendations?
ive been looking at auctions can get a 02 100-120k miles in this price range

franky

posted on 11/4/10 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
passat tdi.
wilkingj

posted on 11/4/10 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Volvo 850 Petrol, I just wish it was a diesel. Bloody Excellent motor, except the 26mpg on petrol.
My mate gets 55 on a run and 47 locally on his Volvo diesel S60. Its chipped and goes like the wind, and does excellent mpg.
That one has the D5 Diesel engine... nice engine.
Downside is thay are expensive even when they are gettign on in age.

Just my 2d's worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevieB

posted on 11/4/10 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have an S60 D5. Awesome engine - 180bhp and stacks of torque.

I've had it for 4 years and never really missed a beat - it's had a bit of work recently but I put it down to 130,000 miles and they've all been wear and tear items (suspension bushes, starter motor etc.).

Should be able to pick one up in your price range and if it's an SE model will be suitably loaded spec wise (I have the standard S and it has everything I would ever want as it is).

pewe

posted on 11/4/10 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
SAAB 9-5 diesel - lots of goodies as standard and great value for money.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

Myke 2463

posted on 11/4/10 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Mondeo TDCI 130. over 98k no prob, tows 1800kg with ease. 45mpg towing 1200 kg.
SteveWalker

posted on 11/4/10 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
I had a Nissan Primera 2.2 Diesel which I was very happy with. Only got rid of it as it had some warranty work done on it and the Nissan Dealer made a right mess of it (they had it for two weeks instead of one and then it went back five times to put right things they'd messed up when they did the work. Final straw was when I came to change the front brake pads a month later and found out they'd re-used the hub nut split pins, one of which was broken and the other had fallen out completely At that point I felt I didn't know what else could be lurking and couldn't trust the car again, so I traded it in for a Ford Focus 1.8TDCI).
thunderace

posted on 11/4/10 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
a transit
cheep to run and loads of room .

edspurrier

posted on 11/4/10 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an Accord diesel - 2006 2.2 - which is excellent generally, though it tows 1000kg odd of tiger and trailer with no problem the mpg does drop to about 35 towing.
So I'm pondering a Skoda.

britishtrident

posted on 11/4/10 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Rover 75 CDTi Tourer towing capacity 1600kg braked

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 11/4/10 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
And the Renault DCi Diesels carry major money pit warnings, turbos fails. at anything over 80,000 miles which is bad enough but it self destructs and the debris tries to exit via the cylinders. ---- the causes is a lubrication problem Renault stretched the service interval and didn't specify a fully synthetic oil. Usually EGR valve occur problems first and is sign that big trouble is on the way. Problem dosen't seem to occur if fully synthetic oil has been used since new and/or oil has been changed every 5,000 miles.
This problem applies equally to Nissans with Renault Diesels. Much less of a problem on the little 1.5DCi than the bigger 1.9 and 2.1 engines.

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 11/4/10 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myke 2463
Mondeo TDCI 130. over 98k no prob, tows 1800kg with ease. 45mpg towing 1200 kg.

Problem with Ford TDCI is do just about anything on the engine and it has to be connected by the Ford dealer to the Ford factory computer to get the part coded into the ECU.

Other thing to watch with Fords is dual mass flywheel problems which were common before 2003 after 2003 they must have quietly modified the part because they don't give anything like as much trouble.

[/I]

StevieB

posted on 11/4/10 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
And the Renault DCi Diesels carry major money pit warnings, turbos fails. at anything over 80,000 miles which is bad enough but it self destructs and the debris tries to exit via the cylinders. ---- the causes is a lubrication problem Renault stretched the service interval and didn't specify a fully synthetic oil. Usually EGR valve occur problems first and is sign that big trouble is on the way. Problem dosen't seem to occur if fully synthetic oil has been used since new and/or oil has been changed every 5,000 miles.
This problem applies equally to Nissans with Renault Diesels. Much less of a problem on the little 1.5DCi than the bigger 1.9 and 2.1 engines.

Yep - I've known of 2 that have gone exactly the same way.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.