Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Green Stuff pads
omega0684

posted on 25/4/10 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Green Stuff pads

Where is the best place to buy green stuff pads, i tried two local car parts places yesterday and they both said they had stopped dealing with EBC?

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 25/4/10 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
what about the ebc website ?

-

ReMan

posted on 26/4/10 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
Spooky!
As part of my pre Stoneleigh strip and rebuild of the front suspension this weekend I thought I'd buy and fit some greenstuff as a bit of an upgrade as the cars been a bit neglected.
Anyway, I did a search on here and the opinions seemed so mixed about them and theres nothing wrong particularly with my cheapo pads that I spent the money on beer instead!

Myke 2463

posted on 26/4/10 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
Green Pads ?

The majority of Westfield owners in the WSCC prefer Mintex 1144 as they get better results.
coozer

posted on 26/4/10 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.brakes4u.co.uk/

Just got some yellow stuff pads off these guys..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

ChrisW

posted on 26/4/10 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
I run EBC greens on my XR2, never had a problem with them. They're certainly a huge improvement over the stock pads, as I proved to myself whilst having a 'play' with an SLK on a route with lots of wide stretches with roundabouts in between.

I'd stuck a set of stock pads in as a temporary fix due to needing a set in a hurry (stuck caliper). The difference in fade temperature was huge. I could never get the greens to overheat on that car, which weighed about 750kg and made 150bhp. I doubt you'd be able to do it in a kit either, unless on a track maybe.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 26/4/10 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
+1 for Mintex - the best IMO

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

iank

posted on 26/4/10 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
I run EBC greens on my XR2, never had a problem with them. They're certainly a huge improvement over the stock pads, as I proved to myself whilst having a 'play' with an SLK on a route with lots of wide stretches with roundabouts in between.

I believe they (EBC Greens) need higher temps to work well, which isn't a problem in tin top being driven enthusiastically, but a lot harder to achieve in a 500kg kitcar, especially where people have 'upgraded' to vented disks.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

prawnabie

posted on 26/4/10 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
I use black suff in mine - theres a guy on the bay selling them for about £25 a set
Fozzie

posted on 26/4/10 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
+1 for Mintex - the best IMO

+2 ... not a fan of 'green stuff'/ebc ....

as Ian said, mucho heat needed for them to work correctly.... hard to achieve in a '7' ....

When replacing pads, please read the instruction leaflet, and adhere to their bedding in procedure...

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

mcerd1

posted on 26/4/10 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
I believe they (EBC Greens) need higher temps to work well

I managed to 'cook' a set on my old tin-top when I tried them - I didn't think they were all that much better than the ferodo 'premier' ones I normally used and they only lasted me ~7k (this is on a 954cc 106 ! )
also tried a set of the black (normal) ones - they were realy crap - over heated all the time, didn't grip well and wore out in no time

I've just got a set of the bog std. mintex ones on the focus at the moment - they only grip as well as the ferodo ones but they seem to be lasting longer so far (haven't tried M1114's yet)

on the plus side the EBC's have that brake in coating to bed them in faster which did seem to work (I've got a set of EBC greens for the dax, but I'll probably try something else once they're done)

all IMHO of course

-

Fozzie

posted on 26/4/10 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Whilst I personally recommend the Mintex for road use.....

I must confess that I have changed to these:-

Ferodo DS2500

They are so good they are now also on the VX220T ...
However, I cannot emphasise strongly enough to read and adhere to the instruction leaflet, if any of you decide to try them...

Fozzie

ChrisW

posted on 26/4/10 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I believe they (EBC Greens) need higher temps to work well, which isn't a problem in tin top being driven enthusiastically, but a lot harder to achieve in a 500kg kitcar, especially where people have 'upgraded' to vented disks.

Urban myth I'm afraid, probably started by Mintex lol. The greens work straight from cold, yellows need a bit of heat in them, and reds are for full on racing.

Not sure where the blacks fit in the temperature scale.

I run yellows in my MR2 due to it being a bit heavier (1200kg) and more powerful (>200bhp). Doesn't take long to get them working nicely.

Chris

greenwood03

posted on 26/4/10 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
erm, no expert on this subject, but funnily enough was just talking to a company that supplies EBC products. As a rough rule of thumb the 'ladder' is
black, green, red, THEN yellow, Blue.
Yellow being trackday oriented for high performance cars......

oh, and apparently 'heat' doesn't really come into the equation - ie/ will the discs get hot enough for the various different colour grades to work effectively, its more about resistance to fade. The suggestion was that for my car yellows would prob be ideal ( currently got reds)

[Edited on 26/4/10 by greenwood03]

http://southernkitcars.comIntermarque Club for owners in the South/South East

Lightning

posted on 26/4/10 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got red stuff on the Chimaera. Good when hot, scarey when cold

Steve

Fozzie

posted on 26/4/10 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
quote:

Urban myth I'm afraid, probably started by Mintex lol...................Chris

Sorry Boss got to disagree with you on that one.....

Fozzie

coozer

posted on 26/4/10 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Reason I went for the yellows is
1. the Mintex's squealed like there's no tomorrow.
2. The bumf with the yellows says "excellent initial bite from cold"

And, I spoke to the EBC tech at the UK centre and he recommended them for my powerlites, as have a few racy type folk on this forum.

Time will tell, I've done 45 miles on them so far and they sequel as much as the 1144's

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Fozzie

posted on 26/4/10 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Reason I went for the yellows is
1. the Mintex's squealed like there's no tomorrow.
2. The bumf with the yellows says "excellent initial bite from cold"

And, I spoke to the EBC tech at the UK centre and he recommended them for my powerlites, as have a few racy type folk on this forum.

Time will tell, I've done 45 miles on them so far and they sequel as much as the 1144's

Yep I found the Mintex squeaked too .... really annoying, but they suited me until I found the Ferodo DS2500's.

Our cars are all different....and it really is a case of finding what suits your particular set-up.....

Also worth bearing in mind that if you do talk to EBC, they will recommend one of their products, and not one of the 'oppositions'....

Brakes are a critical part of our (me and other half's) business, but the cars and type of cars we deal with are nothing like a '7' ...

Fozzie

coozer

posted on 26/4/10 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
What I meant was the EBC recommended the yellow ones over the green or red ones for my car and Powerlites

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

RazMan

posted on 26/4/10 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
My Mintex pads squealed like a stuck pig until I bought some anti-squeal pads on eBay. They simply stick on the back of the pads and are slightly rubbery - they just take out any slight movement of the pads in the caliper and work a treat.

I tried everything in my Powerlites including Greenstuff and Wilwood's own 'smart' pads - both of these had bad cold performance but fairly good when warmed up - the Mintex 1144s work very, very well hot or cold.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

ReMan

posted on 26/4/10 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm,
From what i can make out on EBC's spec from the website, to all intent GREEN should give better (the best) braking per pedal effort, for any car at COLD.
How they then continue to perform at high temp is also at the lower end , hence the up p to 200hp/light cars.
the other colours, vary at cold but have better performans and resitance to FADE tt HIGH temps/continued use

This shoul magew GREEN a hot contender for our NON servo brakes to give easier braking under normal conditions, but experience here was not supporting this enough, hence my hangover

mcerd1

posted on 26/4/10 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
I found that the greens I had on the tin-top had a good bite from cold, but 4 or 5 enthusiastic uses of the middle pedal was enough to have smoke pouring off them (and thats on a car that weighs 760kg, all be it with quite small brakes)

-

JonnyS

posted on 27/4/10 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
I have Green Stuff on the fronts of mine. I've never been a fan of them but they were on the car so...

If you've seen how fast Richi Jenkins and his brother drove the car before I bought it you'll know they must work

On track they're fantastic, after half a lap they'll pull your face off. They are being used in tandem with grooved discs as well.

On the road they're a bit poor when cold, but I'm happy with the trade off.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.