Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Few misc questions
Benzine

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Few misc questions

I'm working on getting my MK back on the road still, I've made good progress so far but there's some things I need to tackle soon.

There's no room for an alternator to be mounted in the traditional place. There is room, however, for a pulley in the traditional place with the alternator being mounted further back.

I've seen pictures on here of someone who mounted a supercharger in a similar way using bearings and U/Js. They needed u/js as it was mounted at a strange angle, I just need some kind of rod that goes straight back to the alternator. At the pulley end it'll need some kind of support. I can make and weld the mountings for the alternator but I have no idea what components are needed (or what they are called or where you can get them) for the shaft/rod & bearing or how the rod/shaft would connect to the alternator.

Next question. I'm using a volvo 960 throttle body and need to work out how to connect the throttle cable to it. Not literally, it has one of those things on that I've forgotten the name of, the thing the cable goes through then you tighten the screw and it clamps the cable. One of those.

I welded a bar from the plenum to below the throttle body, the cable attaches and works but it's pulling in a straight line and the throttle body arm moves round in an arc. Is it okay like this or will it but strain on the cable or cause any other problems. I have no idea how other people have done it... Rescued attachment Image105.jpg
Rescued attachment Image105.jpg

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
full throttle position Rescued attachment Image106.jpg
Rescued attachment Image106.jpg

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Re the throttle body motion, that looks a bit wide to do it with a straight pull cable.
That woudl be more suited to a quadrant type operation, if you can fit one to it which keeps the cable entry angle into the sleeve constant

Benzine

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Re the throttle body motion, that looks a bit wide to do it with a straight pull cable.
That woudl be more suited to a quadrant type operation, if you can fit one to it which keeps the cable entry angle into the sleeve constant

What's a quadrant type operation?

ReMan

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
see this pic for the cable quadrant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Throttle_body.jpg

Benzine

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh I see, thanks

ReMan

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
heres a better one
http://www.miata.net/garage/images/throttle.jpg

nick205

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Any pics of the alternator location?

Could you fit it the other side of the block or lower down?

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Throttle cable components can be ordered from VENHILL if that helps you

Ben_Copeland

posted on 6/5/10 at 05:50 AM Reply With Quote
It's flak that has the supercharger and pulleys. But he made all his bearings for it

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Benzine

posted on 6/5/10 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Any pics of the alternator location?

Could you fit it the other side of the block or lower down?

I haven't taken any pics but believe me, an alternator is not going to fit there The solution where it's mounted further back will work and will be very tidy, I just need to know how to go about it.

Benzine

posted on 6/5/10 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Any ideas where I can get some 32mm OD aluminium pipe bends? I need to modify the pipe on my thermostat to clear the bonnet.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.