Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: F1 Monaco
BenB

posted on 11/5/10 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
F1 Monaco

So what does anyone think?
Will the rolling Virgin road block turn the entire thing (quali and the race) into a lottery or will it turn into a carbon fibre strewn crash fest with people desperately trying to get past cars that are so significantly slower?
I must admit the Monaco GP is often rather dull and quali often decides the race. Will this year be even more dull? Will fate and bad timing decide quali and there be no actual on track racing at all?

Personally I think they should have got everyone to do three laps (one out, one timed, one in, no one else on track) and do the quali based upon that. Wouldn't take that long and would get round the inevitable cries of "I was blocked".

speedyxjs

posted on 11/5/10 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I think with more 'fast' drivers. I think it could be quite exciting. Hopefully a few crashes one involving the 'ol shoemaker and alonso would be nice

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

balidey

posted on 11/5/10 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
sorry, but I heard Brundle say 'quali' last weekend and it sent a shudder down my spine. One of those made up words like app that I can't stand. No offence

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

speedyxjs

posted on 11/5/10 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Quali? Whats wrong with saying quali? Something wrong with saying quali?

balidey

posted on 11/5/10 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
No its a perf acept alter way of saying it

balidey

posted on 11/5/10 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
OK, radical idea.
Reverse quali
Fastest drivers start at the back. Done in lots of other race series. OK, mainly demo derbies, but would see some proper racing.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 11/5/10 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
OK, radical idea.
Reverse quali
Fastest drivers start at the back. Done in lots of other race series. OK, mainly demo derbies, but would see some proper racing.

And loads of bits of carbon fibre!

[Edited on 11/5/10 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

loggyboy

posted on 11/5/10 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
As always it will be blue flag city, most backmarkers are pretty clued up this season, there are no notorious 'hoggers'

As for 'quali' im all for back to the good ol days, 60 minute open pit, unlimited tyre changes, gives loads of oportunitys for a clear lap, and means the truely fastest 1lap driver gets pole, also loads of time to tweak car meaning no more 'I couldnt get the car set up' the more drivers that can get the car setup properly, the more fun it will be in the race.

55ant

posted on 11/5/10 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
i think a touring car race at monace at the same time as the f1 should liven things up.

this season seems to have been more of a procession than usual. but qualifying has been quite good. i enjoy saturday more than sunday, except for the grid walk!

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

BenB

posted on 11/5/10 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
I promise to never say Quali again providing you've never used the shortened forms of any of the following:

Pianoforte
Parambulator
Omnibus
Zoological garden
Taxicab
Delicatessen
Bicycle

Isn't shortening words all part of the evolution of language? Anyway, here's looking forward to quali

speedyxjs

posted on 11/5/10 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
OK, radical idea.
Reverse quali

That would never work because all the drivers will just put in a slow lap.

loggyboy

posted on 11/5/10 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
That would never work because all the drivers will just put in a slow lap.

The usual way when series use this system is to give championship points for quali too.

Richard Quinn

posted on 11/5/10 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Run qualifying as normal then split the grid so that you have a P1 clockwise, P1 anti-clockwise, P2 clockwise, P2 anti-clockwise etc. The grid will then be split in two with the fastest at the front and slowest at the back in each half. At the start, send them off in their respective directions and whoever travels the furthest distance around the track before stopping is the winner (probably best not to have a warm-up lap for this format!)
BenB

posted on 11/5/10 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
Run qualifying as normal then split the grid so that you have a P1 clockwise, P1 anti-clockwise, P2 clockwise, P2 anti-clockwise etc. The grid will then be split in two with the fastest at the front and slowest at the back in each half. At the start, send them off in their respective directions and whoever travels the furthest distance around the track before stopping is the winner (probably best not to have a warm-up lap for this format!)

an excellent idea
I think it would be more fun if they swapped the cars for Blackpool style donkeys and made to wear mexican hats. ooh hang on, that's It's a Knockout

bob

posted on 11/5/10 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have a feeling Qualifying and the actual race could be interesting this year.

Monaco Weather

Paul TigerB6

posted on 11/5/10 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB that's It's a Knockout

I remember that - quality telly!!! Stuart Hall getting so over excited and the games were brill. Bring it back but dont let anyone modernise it - put it on in place of F1 - its soooo much better racing!!!

Richard Quinn

posted on 12/5/10 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn

an excellent idea
I think it would be more fun if they swapped the cars for Blackpool style donkeys and made to wear mexican hats. ooh hang on, that's It's a Knockout

Now you've taken my perfectly sensible and meticulously thought out format that I was ready to present to both the FIA and FOA and made it sound daft by taking it just that bit too far. Mexican hats could only be an option providing that they were correctly stickered up as meeting the correct standards and are HANS device compatable

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.