Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lewis might be going to court :(
BenB

posted on 23/5/10 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Lewis might be going to court :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia_pacific/10143347.stm

So will (the Pommie) Lewis be made to attend the court in Melbourne just a few days before he is supposed to be racing in Belgium to try and catch up with current (joint) championship leader (Australian) Mark Webber?

What does anyone reckon....? Or am I being cynical?

scootz

posted on 23/5/10 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Of course he should be going to court... being an F1 driver does not give you the right to be a c*ck on the highway!

It's Evolution Baby!

Mark Allanson

posted on 23/5/10 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
The charge is " intentionally losing control of a vehicle" - I doubt there was any loss of control during the incident so off on a technicality.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Richard Quinn

posted on 23/5/10 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
The charge is " intentionally losing control of a vehicle" - I doubt there was any loss of control during the incident so off on a technicality.

I had a conversation with a UK police officer regarding something similar. The "reasoning" was something along the lines of if you lose grip when braking then you have lost control (word of advice - don't bother trying to argue against this either!) so "it stands to reason" that if you lose grip whilst accelerating then you have also lost control.
(Trying to show the PC videos of Ken Block on Youtube on your phone is also a waste of time).
I got away with a telling off (but I am not a public figure in the same championship as "one of their own"

fha772

Surely, if it's intentional, then you haven't lost control, case closed, their own charge gets him off!!

But I do think he's a tw@ for doing it, I hope he does have to attend court, because any fine they dole out will have zero impact on him, so maybe having to travel halfway round the globe for a 1 hour court hearing will.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

eddie99

I agree with your point scootz, but i think they will see that he isn't a local kid being an idiot and let him off. And yup, i also don't think there was any loss of control during the incident.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
scootz

posted on 23/5/10 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Problem is... if they let him off, then where does that leave all the local neds who get caught spinning their cars about? It could be argued that a spotty teen who's spent the last 12 months doing doughnuts in the local Tesco's car park will be just as proficient as Mr H at that particular 'speciality'!

Other thing is... you can be the best driver on the planet, but there are others using public roads who won't be expecting to encounter yahoo's going sideways in their cars.

For me it's a no-brainer.

It's Evolution Baby!

BenB

posted on 23/5/10 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
But he didn't lose control. He just spun the wheels up at a junction. I can do that in my Locost and yet control the car perfectly well as a I pull away. The only thing that suffers is my tyres (and therefore my wallet). Don't see the biggy myself. If he was speeding that would be different IMHO. I haven't ever heard of a pedestrian being run over by someone spinning up the tyres out of a junction.
A1

posted on 23/5/10 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
to be honest, i doubt that hamilton getting fined will make anybody think 'hmm maybe i shouldnt do this'
its pathetic

scootz

posted on 23/5/10 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
It's got very little to to do with anyone else thinking "hmm maybe I shouldn't do this" and everything to do with him contravening Aussie road traffic legislation and getting caught.

Why should he get off, but Joe Bloggs wouldn't. Is he (or other racing drivers) exempt from legislation?

It's Evolution Baby!

Ninehigh

posted on 23/5/10 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Should be, all those that carry a racing licence should be allowed 50% over the speed limit

I'd go and get myself one too

RK

posted on 23/5/10 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
All performance car related actions are strongly discouraged. Street racing has killed a lot of people all over the world. Now, governments have become very serious about blaming everyone they can. If Lewis has to pay a price, the power people see it as a step in the right direction against all fast cars (unless they're made by Ford, GM et al, then that's OK). Somehow a 565 HP Audi station wagon is perfectly legal and acceptable, but modifying an older car in any way to increase it's performance, is not.

Back to the point: LH should use his head more.

britishtrident

posted on 23/5/10 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
He ain't half as much hot water as Flavio

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/17958.html

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

buncefm

posted on 23/5/10 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've never heard of anyone being taken to court for spinning there wheels (Losing control)......
Benzine

posted on 23/5/10 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
BRING BACK HANGING!

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 23/5/10 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
BRING BACK HANGING!

Amen!

It's Evolution Baby!

bmseven

posted on 23/5/10 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
I think the OP was making the point that the Australian government was maybe assisting one of it's citizens not if it was right or wrong

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

richard thomas

posted on 23/5/10 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
If I went a bit sideways on the public highway and got caught I would expect some consequences...spinning the wheels constitutes the same thing...fair cop, he should take what's coming. Don't care how 'capable' he is, same laws for us all.....
hicost blade

posted on 23/5/10 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
BRING BACK HANGING!

Yeah to hang bureaucrat's who invent sh*t laws.........

JoelP

posted on 23/5/10 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas
If I went a bit sideways on the public highway and got caught I would expect some consequences...spinning the wheels constitutes the same thing...fair cop, he should take what's coming. Don't care how 'capable' he is, same laws for us all.....

+1. No one is above the law. If i were LH i wouldnt bother turning up though.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

A1

posted on 24/5/10 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
im not saying hes above the law, im saying those laws are stupid. ive had the back end go by accident when being very good, if i was called up in court over it id be very pissed off.
fair enough, he did it on purpose, but that back up the point it wasnt out of control, also, its a bit petty to take someone to court merely to make a point, which is exactly why theyre pushing it so much. Also Im not sure why everyone here seems to want to see him (obv. a fellow petrolhead) strung up??

rick q

posted on 24/5/10 at 02:45 AM Reply With Quote
Over here (at least in Queensland) there's a law against "sustained loss of traction" [burnout]. From the news last night, I think that's what they got him on.
JoelP

posted on 24/5/10 at 05:26 AM Reply With Quote
i think the issue is is that he's in the public eye, if no action is taken then its carte blanche for anyone else to do it. Whatever you think about your abilities, you should agree that you dont want everybody doing burnouts because its just a numbers game til someone loses control, especially in a RWD car.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Tipster69

posted on 24/5/10 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Congratulations to the authorities involved.

They have caught themselves a right royal hardened criminal there in Lewis Hamilton. Pity they have nothing better to do.

Wouldn't the use of "common sense" suffice, and give him a telling off?

[Edited on 24/5/10 by Tipster69]

Ninehigh

posted on 24/5/10 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
They probably will at the end of it. I mean how long was this burnout? 10 yards? 100?

They'll just drag him into court then give him a $30 fine and $55 court costs..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.