Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Diesel Question
Daddylonglegs

posted on 16/6/10 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Diesel Question

Hi all.

Some time ago I posted a query about a Disco that was running rough and chucking out white smoke (unburnt diesel not steam).

I've just had the head pressure tested and they found a leaking core plug at the rear of the head (explains where my water was going over time) and also it needs skimming.

Would the warping cause uneven or no burn in the bores? I just want to try and see where next if this doesn't cure it.

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

mad4x4

posted on 16/6/10 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Warping could cause non buring of Fuel as you cvould have a link between Water jacket and Bore or Bore and Bore thus this would lower compression enough to not burt fuel.

Other place to look on a diesel is Rings. If they don't get a good seal you'll loose compression

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

jambojeef

posted on 16/6/10 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Could be the head being warped I guess but having experienced this on our 200tdi Disco it was the fuel pump timing.

You can check the fuel pump timing on the 200/300 tdi engine by rremoving the little plate on the timing belt cover and place a drillbit / pin in the hole and checking tdc marks line up ok.

One more low cost thing to check and rule out!

Geoff

Daddylonglegs

posted on 16/6/10 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
jambojeef, timing belt was replaced by my mechnic some time ago and he double checked the timing. But I agree with you that the timing may be the issue.

I suspect that the Injection Pump timing is not being advanced when the throttle is pressed as it should. I have had several 'discussions' with people regarding advancing of the IP timing, the argument seems to be that there is none. However, when I talked to an engineer who is going to check the injectors for me, he agreed with me and said that all diesels have some form of timing advancement. On my EDC model, there is an electrically controlled unit that is supposed to advance the pump as the throttle is pressed and he seems to think this is another possible area of issue.

JB

skinned knuckles

posted on 16/6/10 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
anything that significantly reduces the compression in a cylinder will cause no ignition of the air fuel mixture, so a warped head, knackered head gasket, nackered valves etc are all a consideration but as stated its probably a pump timing issue unless the head is VERY warpedand this would display irself with other symptoms too.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

mad4x4

posted on 16/6/10 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
You do a compression test on each cylinder to see if any cylinder is low compression.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Daddylonglegs

posted on 16/6/10 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
compression test was done a while back after cambelt was changed.

I'm picking the head up tomorrow and getting the injectors checked too. Once I've put the thing back together I'll give it another go. If there is still a problem I'm going to try the IP.

T66

posted on 16/6/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Rough running can also be caused by faulty injectors, ie caked up nozzles, poor spray pattern or out of calibration.

This will give you the over fuelling symptoms ie runs like a bag of hammers & white smoke.

When were the pump & injectors last serviced ?

The rotary pumps I played with (trucks) all had some element of manual adjustment on the mounting studs. The advance mechanism could be mechanical advance of the cam ring, using weights or manual cable.

If its been fitted out of kilter from where it was previously, and the injectors are thick of cake, you will hic and fart for England.

Compression testing is essential.

With the engine running , crack the fuel feed to each injector one at a time and try and isolate the dodgy one. If you think one is a culprit, swap it with another one and isolate them individually again.

If this doesnt work pull all injectors one at a time and carefully inspect.

You can have a go at spill timing the injector pump if you suspect it is out of kilter.

Is the engine a high miler ? and is low compressions a possibility ?

If not suspect the pump/injector calibration/timing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.