Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How do they get away with this?
designer

posted on 7/7/10 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
How do they get away with this?

Just read this in Kit Car about the new Onyx Bugatti replica:

"Well, though this car is registered and taxed, it's been registered as a prototype and consequently hasn't been submitted to an SVA test"

How do you get away with that?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulf

posted on 7/7/10 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
I was looking at that some time back and although it looks a nice build I could not see how it would pass SVA. Maybe its being driven on trade plates.
I also saw some custom cars and hot rods at a meet and none of them had correct reg , most of the model t type rods had tax disks from old fords reading something like 2 axle rigid body tax exempt.Others were just blatantly incorrectly registered as Ford cortinas etc on the tax disks.
Paul

blakep82

posted on 7/7/10 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
i think the likes of aston etc are allowed to build prototype cars and test them on the road without any sort of testing? never heard of a new aston going through IVA.

as a 'manufacturer' maybe onyx are able to take use of a loophole?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

PSpirine

posted on 7/7/10 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, from what I understand, you can use prototypes on the road, without any testing, MOT or tax. They are still registered however.

They are registered for testing purposes only - that means that if you get stopped you have to prove that you are carrying out some sort of vehicle testing (which to be fair is not that difficult).

Jag/Land Rover has loads of these. However, insurance on these vehicles only covers the immediate employees carrying out the tests (which means technically you can't borrow this vehicle to take the kids to school).

Rules created for large manufacturers, but clearly abused by others.

MK9R

posted on 8/7/10 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
Yep, from what I understand, you can use prototypes on the road, without any testing, MOT or tax. They are still registered however.

They are registered for testing purposes only - that means that if you get stopped you have to prove that you are carrying out some sort of vehicle testing (which to be fair is not that difficult).

Jag/Land Rover has loads of these. However, insurance on these vehicles only covers the immediate employees carrying out the tests (which means technically you can't borrow this vehicle to take the kids to school).

Rules created for large manufacturers, but clearly abused by others.

i was wondering about this yesterday when i saw one of the new Range Rovers go out onto the roads all disguised up, that answers it

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 8/7/10 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
yeah - neighbour had one in his drive the other week. I was wondering what 'testing' he was doing and how he got to do it.
MakeEverything

posted on 8/7/10 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
So rather than the IVA, you could register your car as a "Prototype" as long as you dont plan to sell it!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

MK9R

posted on 8/7/10 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
So rather than the IVA, you could register your car as a "Prototype" as long as you dont plan to sell it!

So is this a loop hole?? Its not properly legal, but in my case ai would like to test my race car on the road to check its working, so if i register it as a protype i could in theory just drive it up and down the road????????????????

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

coozer

posted on 8/7/10 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
So, my car is a one off, sits in the garage most of the year and comes out for a good 'testing' every now and then.

That mean I've missed a trick and wasted my time with SVA?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Bluemoon

posted on 8/7/10 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
So, my car is a one off, sits in the garage most of the year and comes out for a good 'testing' every now and then.

That mean I've missed a trick and wasted my time with SVA?

No your not a big manufacture, there must be a process you need to though to register this it self might be more expensive than the IVA (I guess this is how the DVLA/VOSA sort this)...

Also the value of your car would be less without the SVA..

jimmyjoebob

posted on 8/7/10 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
This is a loop hole introduced fairly recently.

Cars submitted for crash testing by manufacturers are subsidised by the testing authority. To cut costs, cars over a certain list price have been deemed exempt from crash testing.

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

stevebubs

posted on 8/7/10 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought it more likely it's based on a production ladder chassis and just rebodied? No SVA as the chassis is unchanged...
stevebubs

posted on 8/7/10 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Then again - maybe not...

http://www.onyxsportscars.f9.co.uk/id21.htm

matt_claydon

posted on 8/7/10 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyjoebob
This is a loop hole introduced fairly recently.

Cars submitted for crash testing by manufacturers are subsidised by the testing authority. To cut costs, cars over a certain list price have been deemed exempt from crash testing.

Sorry, but that's absolutely not true with respect to legal requirements (i.e. type approval). The only way to be exempt from crash testing is to follow one of the Low Volume / Small-Series approval schemes with severely restricted annual production volumes. Cost has nothing to do with it and the authorities certainly don't subsidise anything.

It may well be the case with third-party testing such as EuroNCAP though as the cars are not necessarily always paid for by the manufacturer.

PSpirine

posted on 8/7/10 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I think the prototype registering only applies if you're a fairly hefty manufacturer. I imagine we've got some special insurance policy cover for all those rovers running around too. Although there's nothing stopping you sticking psychedelic stickers all over your car!

Fortunately, "testing" can include things like evaluation for squeaks and rattles, handling with a load full of people/tools/shopping, operation of the air conditioning etc.

So not very difficult to explain why you're testing it!

Also, if you are thinking of registering a prototype for testing.. just imagine the phonecall to your insurance company... "well.. it's not really road legal you see... but I do a fair bit of testing.."

PSpirine

posted on 8/7/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
As for the crash testing.. the value of the car is negligible compared to the cost of having a full crash-test approval carried out, even if it's a range rover autobiography!

[Edited on 8/7/10 by PSpirine]

jimmyjoebob

posted on 8/7/10 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I hadn't really read accurately what had been written before - my comment was stating what I had been informed was another grey area that had been created recently. I thought we were creating a list...

As with most things I read in the media it probably isn't true but it seemed plausible.

I should have ended my first line with a ':' (I won't try to spell it or I will embarrass myself further!).

[Edited on 8/7/10 by jimmyjoebob]

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.