Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Non road legal kit for track days
kenton

posted on 22/8/10 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Non road legal kit for track days

Hi all, im looking at another car to do some track days in (not that anything is wrong with mine).
If i bought a cheap part built kit would track day organisers be ok with a non road legal car? Most seem to say an mot is required, would they check?
Thanks in advance
kenton

JoelP

posted on 22/8/10 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
they never checked mine, but that did at least have a reg plate on it. I would expect a visual check would satisfy them but venues will vary.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

StevieB

posted on 22/8/10 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
I've done some javelin trackdays and there were some full blooded racers there.

They did a visual and sound check of the cars and as long as everything looked about right and was within the sound tolerance then it was OK to run.

I reckon you could even get away with a single seater if you put some cycle wings on all 4 corners.

bob tatt

posted on 22/8/10 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
you see loads of track only cars at track days i wouldnt even consider not having an mot to be an issue. Never been asked for one and i have used nearly every track day company going now the main issue is brake lights and noise if these two are ok i cant see there been an problem.
Gordy

posted on 22/8/10 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Non road legal cars usually go through scrutineering, at knockhill once it has passed it would be classed as a track car and would'nt need checked for a year bit like a mot for the track, probably best to ask at your local curcuit.
grub

posted on 22/8/10 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
as long as there are wheel arches of some discription and it goes through noise test there is no problems
R1 STRIKER

posted on 22/8/10 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
If it's purely going to be a track car, get your national B license which will allow you to do test days. Often cheaper than track days and you're aloud to overtake! I went from doing track days to test days when I raced in 2008 caterham academy. You won't regret it, though it might give you the racing bug!
kenton

posted on 22/8/10 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Ive done a couple at brands and overtaking is allowed. The thing is that i love my car and therefore dont push the limits. If i had another i dont think it would matter as much if it got bent!!
Thanks for your replies.
kenton

LBMEFM

posted on 22/8/10 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Bit confused, certainly at Lydden and Brands you can drive any form of car, full race single seater, track day special, road going sports or family saloon and of course overtaking is allowed thats the whole point of track days or am I missing something somewhere.
Barry

JoelP

posted on 22/8/10 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM
Bit confused, certainly at Lydden and Brands you can drive any form of car, full race single seater, track day special, road going sports or family saloon and of course overtaking is allowed thats the whole point of track days or am I missing something somewhere.
Barry

competitive overtaking is not allowed, its normally 'with permission' ie wait for an indicator before passing.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.