Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: following on. which deisel?
daniel mason

posted on 15/9/10 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
following on. which deisel?

following on from my post last weekend regarding me changing cars, i think im going to opt for a diesel this time, again the only main criteria is reliabilty so with around £6k- £6.5k what would be a good option? i have thought about,
seat leon,altea
vw passat, golf
audi a4, a6
skoda octavia,
saab 9-3, 9-5
are there many other options? i dont do massive miles but some long journeys, possibly a european trip next summer! cheers!

v8kid

posted on 15/9/10 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
mondeo

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 15/9/10 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
read some really bad reports on these, on this forum a couple of weeks ago! think the 2.0 tdci was the one in question

Danozeman

posted on 15/9/10 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
depends how big you want
a6 or passat for me.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

daniel mason

posted on 15/9/10 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, i lke both of them but its the dilema of; do i buy an a6 which is a few years older and with a few more miles against a newer lower mileage, leon/ altea ?

thunderace

posted on 15/9/10 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
a6
britishtrident

posted on 15/9/10 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
None of the above -- Avensis or find a low mileage 75/ZT diesel and pocket a lot of change.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

daniel mason

posted on 15/9/10 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
was just looking at the avensis on the net! whats the toyota diesel engine like? also are the honda accord/civic diesels any good?

scootz

posted on 15/9/10 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent car - no doubt, but as dull as dishwater!

It's Evolution Baby!

RichardK

posted on 15/9/10 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
skoda vrs

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 15/9/10 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
VAG for me, A6/Passat if you really need the space, Leon/Golf if not.

Altea is an oddball really IMO - not big enough to be any more use than a Leon. The Altea XL is better, but not much.

nick205

posted on 15/9/10 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Excellent car - no doubt, but as dull as dishwater!

...and then some!

Had the "pleasure" of driving a colleagues Avensis recently and almost slipped into a coma. Like driving a retirement home

austin man

posted on 15/9/10 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
VRS range are good all the vw turbo diesels can be tuned simply and cheaply easy to squeeze 170 bhp and more from them. With realy high levels of torque

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

daniel mason

posted on 15/9/10 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
are the 1.9 tdi's the one to go for or would the 140 bhp 2.0 tdi be better if budget would stretch?

twybrow

posted on 15/9/10 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
was just looking at the avensis on the net! whats the toyota diesel engine like? also are the honda accord/civic diesels any good?

I have an 04 Accord 2.2CDTI sport tourer. It goes well. Has a huge (I do mean HUGE) boot and under boot. It tows very well and has all the toys you need. On the sport suspension it rides quite hard, but grips well and it quite fun for a big car!

daniel mason

posted on 15/9/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
most of the accords i looked at were very high milers.is yours a high miler also?

twybrow

posted on 15/9/10 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
It had 108k on it when I picked it up (all motorway - it was spotless!) and now has 135k. Apart from needing a clean, it still looks and feels very good for the mileage.

I only paid £4.3k 2 years ago for it at a dealer! So now you would get plenty of change from the budget.

nick205

posted on 15/9/10 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
are the 1.9 tdi's the one to go for or would the 140 bhp 2.0 tdi be better if budget would stretch?

Personally I'd be after the 2.0 TDI 140 bhp engine. The 1.9 TDI 150 was very good, but the newer 2.0 is smoother and quieter and very workable.

BigLee

posted on 15/9/10 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Having a fleet of cars in our company I wouldn't touch anything with the 2.0 Tdi vag unit. If it isn't the turbo failing its the fuel pump, or the cam pulley collapsing. They all got big bills before 70k miles. Interestingly, had very few problems with the old 1.9 tdi.
We now opt for mondeo 2.0 Tdci. Bomb proof so long as the oil is changed with fully synthetic everytime. 4 have over 140k on the clock and still pull like trains. The 2.2 Tdci is the problematic one, so avoid. Otherwise very cheap to service unlike VAG models.

Hellfire

posted on 15/9/10 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLee
Having a fleet of cars in our company I wouldn't touch anything with the 2.0 Tdi vag unit. If it isn't the turbo failing its the fuel pump, or the cam pulley collapsing. They all got big bills before 70k miles. Interestingly, had very few problems with the old 1.9 tdi.
We now opt for mondeo 2.0 Tdci. Bomb proof so long as the oil is changed with fully synthetic everytime. 4 have over 140k on the clock and still pull like trains. The 2.2 Tdci is the problematic one, so avoid. Otherwise very cheap to service unlike VAG models.

Had a Leon Fr (170) 2.0 TDI - couldn't wait to get shut of it - so unreliable!!! If there was ever a warning-less dashboard, I cant remember when. Pile of crap!!! Engine is strong but fraught with problems. Got a new BMW 118d - time will tell, its much more smooth (but less power) mpg has gone from circa 48 (LEON) to circa 60 (BMW1)

Still running in but seems so much different....

Steve

mad4x4

posted on 15/9/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
we picked up a Skoda Fabia 1.9tdi (52Plate) for £1500 Pulls like a train 115 PS but can be re mapped to 130

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

coozer

posted on 15/9/10 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a nice Shogun Sport, tows anything, has a MASSIVE boot and hundreds of little hiding holes and people don't cut me up any more..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Ninehigh

posted on 15/9/10 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
read some really bad reports on these, on this forum a couple of weeks ago! think the 2.0 tdci was the one in question

Where? That's the one I got and we've beaten the c**p out of it for nearly 60k miles now and it's not missed a beat.

MikeRJ

posted on 16/9/10 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
6k would buy you a nice BMW diesel, if you can put up with the image.
Ninehigh

posted on 16/9/10 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
6k would buy you a nice BMW diesel, if you can put up with the image.

And you can NEVER use the indicators

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.