Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Colin McRae: Three Years Today Since My Hero was Lost
madrallysport

posted on 15/9/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Colin McRae: Three Years Today Since My Hero was Lost

A tribute to Colin 3 years after his tragic dealth.

Tribute from youtube, magic film

UNDERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
OVERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
HORSEPOWER is how fast you hit the wall.
TORQUE is how far you take the wall with you.

GMPMotorsport

posted on 15/9/10 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
One of the saddest days IMHO.

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddie99

posted on 15/9/10 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
As in the video, he was a hero!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
R1 STRIKER

posted on 15/9/10 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
The day Colin died was a huge loss to the sport. A very fitting tribute.
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 15/9/10 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
And am I the only one who, when watching a WRC rally, always thinks 'how come formula one drivers are the revered ones??'
I don't want to take anything from those F1 guys, but who would you rather go on a stag weekend with, Schumacher or McRae?

D Beddows

posted on 15/9/10 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
He was like that Ken Block muppet..... only WITH actual talent and ability..... he was just a little bit good Colin wasn't he!

phelpsa

posted on 15/9/10 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
As a petrol head growing up in the 90s, Colin was naturally my childhood hero. RIP Colin, greatly missed.

Must admit to shedding a tear over Travis Pastrana's excellent tribute.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddie99

posted on 15/9/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
Must admit to shedding a tear over Travis Pastrana's excellent tribute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjelJeCjHKU

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
StrikerChris

posted on 15/9/10 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
And he didn't do team orders,remember when the 555 team stood in the stage to slow him down and he just sent them diving into the undergrowth spitting and banging off the rev limiter!if he kept it on the road he was the fastest,and even when he didn't he was always the most spectacular to watch of my generation.
(as for ken block I'm sure Colin rolled it head to head with him in x games or some American show and still matched him!)

greglogan

posted on 15/9/10 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
one of the greatest sportsmen of all time (imo). Totally committed to his sport and 100% committed in his driving at all times no matter the cost - never one to "lay up" and take the safe option. It was all or nothing, always.

Greatly missed as a person and an example to other drivers in all avenues of motorsport.

Women are meant to be loved, not understood.

britishtrident

posted on 16/9/10 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
I didn't rate him that highly as a driver he wasn't as good as his father.

As a hero I rate him even less.
Colin took too many chances, even the circumstances surrounding death were due to taking chances and cutting corners with his flying, which would be fine but he killed his son another wee boy and the boys father. The woman who's husband and wee boy were killed has had to fight tooth and nail for compensation because Colin didn't have a current flying license and there were questions over the airworthiness of the aircraft.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Jasper

posted on 16/9/10 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Loved his driving, but now only see him as a completely irresponsible child killer ....

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Strontium Dog

posted on 16/9/10 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I hate to say it and I don't want to dis Macrae but I agree with Mr. Trident on this. Macrae was fun to watch because he crashed a lot. He was not about finesse or control but just went flat out regardless. If he made it to the end of a stage he was quick, but he often didn't due to his reckless style! Certainly was entertaining mind you!

There are and have been many better WRC drivers, Tommi Makinen, Carlos Saines. Sebastian Loeb, Stig Blomqvist, Hannu Mikkola to name just a few and the list goes on and on!

It's sad to have lost Macrae but as to Hero status, I just don't get it, and I am a rally fan who treks through the woods to watch the stages most only see on the telly!

coyoteboy

posted on 16/9/10 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I am a rally fan who treks through the woods to watch the stages most only see on the telly!

Now THAT I struggle to get - why watch one corner when you can see the whole thing?! Or better yet, stay near where the cars are being worked on.

[Edited on 16/9/10 by coyoteboy]

Strontium Dog

posted on 16/9/10 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:
I am a rally fan who treks through the woods to watch the stages most only see on the telly!

Now THAT I struggle to get - why watch one corner when you can see the whole thing?! Or better yet, stay near where the cars are being worked on.

[Edited on 16/9/10 by coyoteboy]

That's simple, it's a right laugh and a bit of an adventure. Then there's driving between stages trying to work out where to leave the car and clamber through the wilderness to see another spectacle. Telly is great and you see more but it's not close to being a few feet away from a stone spitting, sideways 4WD that's doing 80mph! (I don't condone reckless behaviour when watching though as an occasional Marshal.In fact this year I have been asked to take over the organising of one of our local Road Rallies series).

Rally spectating is not encouraged and the challenge of finding the best places to watch is a large part of it. It almost feels a bit naughty! My daughter loves it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.