Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rollcage feet regs vs spaceframe construction
NS Dev

posted on 18/10/10 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Rollcage feet regs vs spaceframe construction

I don't have a current blue book, and I am a little unsure on the regulations from the MSA regarding "rollcage feet" in the context of a spaceframe chassis.

I know about the standard "cage feet" regulations, but clearly these are not followed in a spaceframe construction, so.......are there any regulations governing the "bit of a spaceframe" that is classed as the rollcage, and how it connects to the rest of the frame?

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 18/10/10 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
isn't the blue book freely downloadable now?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

NS Dev

posted on 18/10/10 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
aha will try!

the last book (2004?) I had never got into the specifics anyway though. I know of several (Ultima springs to mind) cars where they certainly don't have any "feet" as such, but are still fine by msa...

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

loggyboy

posted on 18/10/10 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
http://msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/10/160-195%20Competitor%20Safety.pdf
MikeR

posted on 18/10/10 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
just about to point out you can download it.

I think (from what i remember - but i read it ages ago). if you go to the base of something it must be spread on a 3mm 4" plate. If you weld something onto the side of the cage like a chassis tube then it doesn't list anything specifically. On my chassis i've made one roll cage leg attach via 4 points that bolt with a m10 bolt who's total area adds up to 4" with 3mm steel plate.

I don't recall Matt raising any specific objections when i mentioned it in a roll cage thread - although he may have a) not wanted to voice an opinion, b) missed my comment entirely or c) said it was fantastic and i've forgotten.

NS Dev

posted on 18/10/10 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a chat with a couple of folks, and basically its make it up as you go along as far as I can determine!

I'm off to weldy weldy!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.