Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wish I had some space
mookaloid

posted on 20/10/10 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Wish I had some space

Wanted one of these for ages 1983 LANCIA GAMMA COUPE FI SILVER CLASSIC 2.5 PROJECT on eBay (end time 23-Oct-10 20:29:15 BST) no room to store it though

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

speedyxjs

posted on 20/10/10 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
From the amount of rust on it, id say it only looks a year or so old

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

steve m

posted on 20/10/10 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
hahaha

I was going to say with the surfac rust showing, Titanic will be in better condition under the paint !!

nick205

posted on 20/10/10 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
No problem with rusty cars, but it's a bit fugly for me I'm afraid.
owelly

posted on 20/10/10 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to google 'rehaul' and see what work the brakes need......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
T66

posted on 20/10/10 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and if you took the badges off it, nobody would ever know what it was.

It will be scary delving under the wheelarches and carpets ...

Fiat Dino is one of my favourite motors, love the old Italian rustboxes, Suds, GTV6s etc.

mookaloid

posted on 20/10/10 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
It is interesting that it isn't a particularly photogenic car - but in the flesh it is very pretty and quite striking.

The thin pillars and classic lines make it look very Italian exotic in my humble opinion.

Few people on here will ever have seen one I suspect - I'm 48 and I have only ever seen 2 that I know of.

I would restore it and have it re upholstered with leather and have a nice thin ally and wood rimmed steering wheel fitted

mmmmmmmmmm

Ninehigh

posted on 20/10/10 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Go for it, it's so rare I haven't even heard of it

Guinness

posted on 20/10/10 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
A mate of mine has a Montecarlo in his barn. Although to be fair, you'd have to be pretty clued up to recognise it.

He started by taking the brightwork off to give it a polish. It's now a bare shell, with big holes

Benzine

posted on 20/10/10 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Not seen one before but I really like it!

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 20/10/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Most of them were probably written off when the timing belt failed which they did on a regular basis. Very quick when they did run though
T Rex

posted on 20/10/10 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
It is a very pretty very rare car, but beware the rust is the least of your problems, this is car equivalent of the female bunny boiler, the engine is a flat four with sleeved bores and paper seals thinner than a fag paper between the sleeve bottoms and where it meets the crankcase, and the seals always perish which allows oil and water to mix even when they were new. No matter what you do or how clean you are at rebuilding this engine it will eventually leak again, then the timing belts keep shearing the bent valves. Then when it finally runs the idle is rough and doesn’t suit the looks of this car, I once rebuilt one of these engines in a proper lancia garage five times. If your going to get this car go with the mindset of an engine transplant Audi might suit the bill. Then the electrics and interior will need to be sorted no spares .
mookaloid

posted on 20/10/10 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T Rex
It is a very pretty very rare car, but beware the rust is the least of your problems, this is car equivalent of the female bunny boiler, the engine is a flat four with sleeved bores and paper seals thinner than a fag paper between the sleeve bottoms and where it meets the crankcase, and the seals always perish which allows oil and water to mix even when they were new. No matter what you do or how clean you are at rebuilding this engine it will eventually leak again, then the timing belts keep shearing the bent valves. Then when it finally runs the idle is rough and doesn’t suit the looks of this car, I once rebuilt one of these engines in a proper lancia garage five times. If your going to get this car go with the mindset of an engine transplant Audi might suit the bill. Then the electrics and interior will need to be sorted no spares .

I would relish the challenge

zilspeed

posted on 20/10/10 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
In the early 80s, the Glasgow Evening Times was where you sold your car if you lived within the circulation area.

There was a Gamma Coupe in there week after week after week.
Little by little the price came down but still no takers.

Eventually, the owner offered it for sale at the price of a straight swap for two balloons and a goldfish.

The paper picked up on it and ran a little article and the woner admitted he couldn't get rid of it for love nor money.

I've always wanted one

T Rex

posted on 20/10/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Don’t get me wrong I love old Italian cars, and whenever I see any old car on somebody’s drive, my mind goes in to possibilities mode , but if ever there was a car destined to spend their last days gently rotting on somebody’s drive as a dream to never be realised, or be tarted up and put in a motor museum this is it, you are a brave man Mr Mookaloid.
mookaloid

posted on 20/10/10 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Well I can't buy it just now because I just have nowhere to store it. If I did have somewhere I would definitely buy it.

I like your idea of a transplant for a more reliable serviceable drivetrain though. After all nobody will know if it doesn't quite sound how it should

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 20/10/10 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
A genuine RUST 2 ROME classic...... I may try to drive it back to where it came from and leave it there.....
its about the right price as well

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.