Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VAG Diesel help.
roadrunner

posted on 11/11/10 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
VAG Diesel help.

Hi fellas.
I have been having problems with my 150 Bora diesel juddering through the car when accelerating from 1500 to 2500 revs, mainly in higher gears from third, but really bad in sixth going up hills.
Now the first thing i changed was the camshaft, no change. Then the MAF sensor was changed, no difference.
I removed and cleaned the EGR with no change but i do get a quacking sound when lifting off the gas which I'm led to believe is a faulty EGR valve.
I then cleaned the turbo which seamed to change where the main boost came in, but the juddering is still there.I also checked that the waste gate was moving and all was ok there.
Fuel filter changed, pipes checked for leaks.
Then the clutch started to slip really bad. At this point i was sure it was the dual mass flywheel, so a new clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder was fitted, and guess what, the juddering is still there.
Even a new lower engine mount was fitted with no change.
There is one other thing that bothers me, and that is its crap on the MPG , only getting around 35 to the gallon and 40 if i try really hard. I know the computers aren't very accurate, but it shouldn't be that far out.
I have just read about EGR's when they are open on over run to let exhaust gasses in but close under acceleration. Could mine be stuck open all the time, hence rubbish MPG and juddering.
It is p***ing me off now, i want someone to crash into it so i can claim on there insurance for a new one.
Thanks in advance
Brad.

hobbsy

posted on 11/11/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
You can get EGR bypass kits often more cheaply than a new EGR valve. Not sure if for this application but this is what I did on my BMW as cleaning it made it a bit better but getting rid altogether was even better. Saves clogging up the intake manifold with soot and oil etc as well.

Also its worth getting the error codes read from the ECU if you haven't already. Mine said "EGR flow too low" or something like that which was a bit of a clue!

[Edited on 11/11/10 by hobbsy]

roadrunner

posted on 11/11/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I might try a temporay blank to see if this works.
I was also going to remove the turbo for a really good clean.

perksy

posted on 11/11/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Injectors ok ?
roadrunner

posted on 11/11/10 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I think so . I had the error codes checked and it came up that one injector was over fueling causing erratic idling but that settled down when the MAF was replaced.
Also just to add, the tick over is perfect and it pulls like tram when on one.

[Edited on 11/11/10 by roadrunner]

mgmiller

posted on 11/11/10 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

A colleague at my work has a A3 2.0TDI that would most of the time run fine, but occasionally on acceleration would rev to about 3000 RPM and then judder at about that RPM until you took your foot off the throttle.

Turned out that the fuel pump was leaking oil into the fuel system. Apparently its a common fault on these engines.

Might give you another line of investigation.

roadrunner

posted on 12/11/10 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've just added some rad weld as there is a little white smoke on start up, to see if i had a leak in the system, but it still judders.
jacko

posted on 12/11/10 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Pull the engine out and fit a

PINTO You asked for that after the comment on the engine lift post
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mikegsi

posted on 13/11/10 at 12:53 AM Reply With Quote
Bought our lass an 04 plate golf gt tdi - 2.0 140bhp a couple of years ago...

Worst car we've EVER had.

Allsorts went wrong with it, turbo seized, injector wiring loom frayed, head gasket went, internal wiring took a dicky fit.

Car cost me the best part of 6 grand by the time we sold it on.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.